IGNORED

Great video of doe ducking crossbow bolt! (time for a new debate)

JHbowhunter

I have watched guys from a distance shoot deer with a slug which is the complete opposite of a bow, the deer will fall over dead and you're like wtf just happened, then you hear the bang of the gun. Slugs are a little faster than sound at 1600 fps verses 1125 fps, pretty cool to watch it happen:up:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cheap xbow and keep my shots down to 20 yds or less.  Have not even seen them flinch before getting drilled.

Anecdotal, I know...

PS - I know better than to try arguing with Dan about hunting or fishing - just sharing my observations.

Edited by madeinuk

On 10/4/2019 at 9:03 AM, Pathman said:

Stop giving deer supernatural powers, they can’t hear the arrow coming, that’s ridicules! The physiology of the deers body and how they make their first move to flee is simply what is happening here, and is what many have called “ducking” for years. 

I'd be willing to bet that not only can a deer hear the arrow they can ascertain the direction and are also aware it is moving. Like previously stated, if we can hear an arrow in flight they sure as hell can. Also, how many times have you made the slightest sound in your stand and a deer perks up in your direction? 

On 10/4/2019 at 9:16 AM, JHbowhunter said:

The seminal point here is - take that same situation, aim the bow in opposite direction so the projectileis not part of the equation.    Would the doe react exactly the same way at same exact point in time?

Just dry fire it 🤣

On 10/4/2019 at 10:27 AM, JHbowhunter said:

there might be a way the projectile noise could surpass the original shot noise because the projectile is traveling TOWARD the target whereas the original noise is stationary.     This is exactly the type of formula (train left the station at 5pm, traveling 150MPH....)  that was my demise in advanced math. 

I think in 150 feet, the initial noise would beat projectile at any point the projectile is from target, but I do wonder there is a distance where the projectile noise surpasses the initial sound?

When I shoot 3 blade fixed heads that definitely "Whistle"  I can hear my bow release I can hear the hiss and then  the last thing I hear at 20 yards is the arrow smacking the target.   In that order...  

But what would I hear first if my ears were next to target?

Sound of bow/xbow reaches deer before arrow just based on absolute speeds. Isn't the arrow also decreasing in speed soon after it is fired? Edit: but its probably close because the sound emanating from the bow is probably at the end of the shot after the arrow has left the string.

Deer are animals, just like us, they aren't all the same and they all react different ways to different things. Thursday I put a shwacker through a buck from 12 yards away, it kicked, ran two yards, walked another 5 and sat down. My arrow hit an unseen branch so I was a bit off target but still got a pass thru. The deer stood up twice but in total didn't move more than 10 yards before expiring.

Edited by newjerseyhunter

18 minutes ago, newjerseyhunter said:

I'd be willing to bet that not only can a deer hear the arrow they can ascertain the direction and are also aware it is moving. Like previously stated, if we can hear an arrow in flight they sure as hell can. Also, how many times have you made the slightest sound in your stand and a deer perks up in your direction? 

Well, good luck proving that theory! 
It’s all reaction, if they had the “super powers“ you are giving them, we’d never kill a single one of them! 

My final conclusion is, "a deer ducking an arrow" is only  terminology , in reality it should be "a deer ducking sound" I think it's time for a new debate since this one has gone no wheres, this one may be easier to solve. What came first the chicken or the egg:hmmmer:

Edited by bucky

I only recently had a deer "duck" my arrow last year. It was on high alert because it saw me emerge out of the woods near dark and it was standing in an open field. It was looking straight at me when I shot. I could see the lighted knock going straight at her vital area as she ducked and swung around. She definitely reacted to the sound even though my crossbow is fairly quiet. There was NO hesitation. It was exactly at the shot. 

You could say that she saw the lighted nock or heard the arrow but that would take more reaction time. Not saying there are instances where that could happen though but not in my case. 

With modern equipment there is no way deer has ability to duck on close shots reacting to the sound alone, IMO.When it  occasionally happens, deer reacts to something else, most likely visual cues it picks up before you pull the trigger.
The sound of the arrow on close shots can not help as well because deer hears the bow before the arrow.
When you get to 40 yards + its a different story and the math works to deer advantage. Ironically, I see much less of a reaction on long shots with deer standing and just looking towards the incoming arrow until they get hit.  
I am actually shocked to read how many of you had a deer slip on you this way. I never lost one this way but I lost too many doing stupid things:shock::happywave:

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

With modern equipment there is no way deer has ability to duck on close shots reacting to the sound alone, IMO.When it  occasionally happens, deer reacts to something else, most likely visual cues it picks up before you pull the trigger.
The sound of the arrow on close shots can not help as well because deer hears the bow before the arrow.
When you get to 40 yards + its a different story and the math works to deer advantage. Ironically, I see much less of a reaction on long shots with deer standing and just looking towards the incoming arrow until they get hit.  
I am actually shocked to read how many of you had a deer slip on you this way. I never lost one this way but I lost too many doing stupid things:shock::happywave:

Did you ever hit one a little higher then you aimed and you couldn't figure out why:hmmmer: There are  plenty of reasons for it but I will bet you this is one of them

Edited by bucky