Bucksnbows

Burnt Mills Dam Removal on Lamington

come up north and east a bit, do us a favor and remove the dam at little falls, it will stop all of the flooding issues we face in fairfield and wayne, contrary to what the dopes at army corps think......

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, bucky said:

I saw you down there today,looked like you were scratching your head trying to figure out how to get the machine in there;)

That is fairly accurate.  Not how to get the machine in, but how to get it unloaded with a bridge we can't drive over loaded.  Tomorrow is wooden timber mats for our access into the river and for boulder deliveries.  Friday is mobilizing the 2nd excavator with a hammer and a bucket, and work begins Saturday in channel.    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikmaze said:

come up north and east a bit, do us a favor and remove the dam at little falls, it will stop all of the flooding issues we face in fairfield and wayne, contrary to what the dopes at army corps think......

So far in life, I have stayed away from the Passaic river basin like it were the black plague :) 

When my family moved to West Milford in late '69, they were talking about flooding in old Wayne, Little Falls, etc.  Nothing has changed in nearly 50 years with that issue.  

Posted (edited)

If you can access the other side ,take Rattlesnake Bridge Rd from rt.28, make your first right past the bridge which  is Burntmills Rd(on the Bedminster side),then take your first right, that's  the little side road on the other side of the river. Drop the machine there then the trailer can make a left back to Burntmills:up:

Edited by bucky
  • Like 1

Everything has to come in the other side of the bridge -- the Rt28 side -- Boulder trucks should be loaded to 80,000 and cant get over that bridge -- to keep our impact small we're trying to do everything in one place on mats -- and thats where the plan says to access the river

Edited by Heavyopp
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

12 hours ago, bucky said:

If you can access the other side ,take Rattlesnake Bridge Rd from rt.28, make your first right past the bridge which  is Burntmills Rd(on the Bedminster side),then take your first right, that's  the little side road on the other side of the river. Drop the machine there then the trailer can make a left back to Burntmills:up:

Coming in and out off Milnor Road would have destabilized the already vertical banks that have eroded badly in that left channel.  All of this was discussed at length over the last 4 years since we first began talking about this removal.  As I said earlier, this project has a lot of moving parts, some of which I'm not at liberty to discuss.  There are state and federal T&E species present that our work is designed to protect and whose habitat we hope to enhance as well.  Anadromous fish habitat and passage under all flows is only a part of this project.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

So far in life, I have stayed away from the Passaic river basin like it were the black plague :) 

When my family moved to West Milford in late '69, they were talking about flooding in old Wayne, Little Falls, etc.  Nothing has changed in nearly 50 years with that issue.  

This is in the mid-1980s in Wayne Route 80 eastbound side a few miles east of Horseneck Road,the water was so high it was up to the top of the 6ft chain link fence on the westbound side anyone who knows that area there was a big clearing on the westbound side that the Town used,there were piles of firewood and piles of leaves the pile of leaves are all you saw and there were three deer bedded down on top of those leaves guys were going out in rowboats to rescue the deer I watched As the deer were swimming can't find those pictures but I have this one the eastbound side.Normally a field.

IMG_20191010_114925265.jpg

Edited by hunterbob1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

As I said earlier, this project has a lot of moving parts, some of which I'm not at liberty to discuss

I heard they are taking the dams down so navy subs can make it up to Pottersville General store for lunch:ninja:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, bucky said:

Did you guys do the Johnson stretch?

No, our former boss did that job with his son.  Their company is about finished, but they had that job this year and two more lined up for next year.

• Like 1

Brought out the big guns for this job. That’s Heavyopp standing next to a brand new 54” bucket with a heavy duty thumb.   One of two 320 excavators we have for this job. 

8FE90657-5C0E-42BF-BDAB-CE3E680398E0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Are you running bio-degradable oil in those pieces also is there bio fuel out there that is compatible with the tier 4 final engines? I couldn't imagine popping a hydraulic or fuel line in the middle of the river