IGNORED

last day of sept goose - fun story

mazzgolf

Today was the last day of September goose. I took my dad out for just his 3rd day out waterfowl hunting (he's in his 70s but only started hunting when he saw me going out... he decided since he can't come out with me to golf (he can't swing a golf club anymore due to a bad back), he might come out with me and try this. So I took him to a spot that is a very easy walk to a water's edge and he can sit in a chair. He got his first waterfowl (goose of course) in this spot a few days ago - and he asked that I take him again on the last day of Sept. goose.

So we get there over a half hour before shooting time. I setup a half dozen floaters about 20 yards out and setup my e-caller off to the side, then we settle down and wait for shooting time. A little later, it's still dark and not quite shooting time, when we hear "HONK!" off to our right. I hear my dad ask, "Was that you?" My calling isn't that good :D I go.. "No. Try not to move".

We look over, and here's 5 geese swimming over to our dekes. Bahahahahaha! :rofl: Well, they come over and damn if they don't just stop and float right inside my spread and hang out with us. My dad is looking at me like, "What do we do?" I have to text him so I don't make any noise, "Let's see if they call any in for us." By this time, it's shooting time. We watch these geese swim away a little, then come back and mill around, then swim away, then come back. It's like they were trying to tell these "other geese" to follow them. We even had one swim to within 10 yards of us! Anyway, they end up swimming away after about 15 or 20 minutes. I told my dad to just let them go - that would have been too easy and not all that fun to shoot. Sometimes I do enjoy watching the game animals come in and mill around, even if I choose not to harvest them - was fun watching their behavior and what seemed like their attempt at communicating with this "other group of geese" they joined up with.

We did end up having a couple shots at a few geese that flew overhead later in the morning... we missed :) 

Anyway - I thought I'd share that fun story. I'll take him out crow hunting later in the week to try to do more shooting and missing.;)

Fantastic story with your Dad! My Dad taught me how to fish and hunt. I hunted with him for years, some of the best times of my life. Although he's still around, he's too frail to hunt with me anymore. If any of  you guys still have a chance to spend time hunting with your Dad please do it while you can. Those great days have passed me by, and all I have left is the memories.

Edited by Zipper

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

• 2 weeks later...