Lunatic

Mobile Data and this site

I have 6 GB of data per month on my ATT plan. This is what I have for the last 4 years and I never went over the 6 GB. 
Last month I had a message from ATT that I was about to go over the 6 GB with 3 days in the month. I did not go over. When you do they give you another 1GB for $15.

This month I received the same message but with 14 days left in the moth. Then they added the 1 GB and I am bout to go over it. I know I can just change the plan to 9GB or unlimited but I am trying to understand what is happening.
Yes my data usage goes up once the hunting season starts because I hunt more than most and when in a tree I like to check, upload pics and post on NJWW. But I did the same thing last year and I was fine. I looked at the details of September billings of last year vs this September and I see some differences. This year I am finding much larger numbers and some hrs show MB, not KB usage of 159-230MB in one single hr. Last year I can only find KBs, which never added up to more the 6GB for the month. In looking at the hr by hr data I am realizing these big numbers come from being on this site. For example, for the 6PM hr on the 15 of September, I was definitely hunting and interacting on this site, I am showing 230Mbs. How? Could it be the new adds, some animated and running in circles like the leak prove panties ad:shock:, are eating up my data in the background even when I am not on site. It takes additional step on Iphone to actually close the app so when I simply close the Sfari it is still running in the background and maybe receiving data without me even seeing and knowing it. What do you think? Anyone else see any increase in data they are using?

It's obviously the Russians running a bitcoin miner on your phone.

I don't use an iPhone but I would imagine you can see a breakdown of what app is using how much data. If not, perhaps you can download an app that will monitor that information for you. Once you find the app you can narrow down the culprit. Also, there may be a setting by which you can block an app from using background data at all or unless it is on wifi.

Edited by newjerseyhunter
  • Like 1

First thing I would do is look at your actual data usage broken down by application.  Is your browser the majority of it, reaching those levels?

Second thing, if you aren't doing it, use WIFI whenever possible so you can save your data for when you don't have WIFI access.

25 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

First thing I would do is look at your actual data usage broken down by application.  Is your browser the majority of it, reaching those levels?

Second thing, if you aren't doing it, use WIFI whenever possible so you can save your data for when you don't have WIFI access.

I will look into per app usage

use WiFi whenever it is available. 

• Like 1

Happened to me go to find out it was my wifes phone that updated and updated apps not on wifi..

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Happened to me go to find out it was my wifes phone that updated and updated apps not on wifi..

It is definitely me.

10 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Looney I think you’re the only person left without an unlimited data plan LOL :happywave:

Maybe.

I found one big hit on September 18 at 9Am, while I was at work, it used 43% of my data plan. Now how do I find out what it was?

Go to Settings >> Cellular on your iPhone.

That tells you what data has been used by what app over a period of time.  Unfortunately it takes resetting the time period to start over again.  My "Current Period" is approx 2 years lol

So doesn't help you looking back, but you can reset it now and start monitoring to see what's using up your data.

• Like 1

Looney do you have you” backround app refresh” set to wifi only? That will burn data big time

• Like 1

I don't have unlimited :) I have a 6GB *family* plan - it covers me, the wife, 2 kids. Yup - we only get 6GB between us (but AT&T has rollover data - so what we don't use in a month, rolls to the next - and we've rolled over 1 or 2GBs, sometimes 3GBs in a month).

Me and the wife's phone are Androids (Nokia) - they have this "Data Saver" feature - I turn it on and (I think) it does not allow background data to flow over the cellular network (only WiFi). The kids turn off some feature on the iPhone that only tells it to use WiFi for data. If they need data when out of a wifi area, they know how to turn data back on. But I told them that on our AT&T  plan, we have it where if you go over, that's it - they throttle our account down to only like 156KB throughput or something like that (like, really slow). So they are careful not to stream their stupid vlogs or whatever over cellular.

So there are ways to save your data.

One big way is to tell your phone NOT to do updates over cellular - only over WiFi. I know Android has that and I'm sure iPhones do too.

I would look at that date where you had 43% of the data usage and somehow see if your phone updated itself that day.

There are ways on your phone to find out which apps used what data. Android has it under Settings > Data or something like that. It's possible you have a rogue app that is sucking up data in the background.

Or stop watching "those videos" while up in a tree :P

Edited by mazzgolf

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I don't have unlimited :) I have a 6GB *family* plan - it covers me, the wife, 2 kids. Yup - we only get 6GB between us (but AT&T has rollover data - so what we don't use in a month, rolls to the next - and we've rolled over 1 or 2GBs, sometimes 3GBs in a month).

Me and the wife's phone are Androids (Nokia) - they have this "Data Saver" feature - I turn it on and (I think) it does not allow background data to flow over the cellular network (only WiFi). The kids turn off some feature on the iPhone that only tells it to use WiFi for data. If they need data when out of a wifi area, they know how to turn data back on. But I told them that on our AT&T  plan, we have it where if you go over, that's it - they throttle our account down to only like 156KB throughput or something like that (like, really slow). So they are careful not to stream their stupid vlogs or whatever over cellular.

So there are ways to save your data.

One big way is to tell your phone NOT to do updates over cellular - only over WiFi. I know Android has that and I'm sure iPhones do too.

I would look at that date where you had 43% of the data usage and somehow see if your phone updated itself that day.

There are ways on your phone to find out which apps used what data. Android has it under Settings > Data or something like that. It's possible you have a rogue app that is sucking up data in the background.

Or stop watching "those videos" while up in a tree :P

Thanks

the big hit was while in the office using WiFi :shock:

5 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

List of the Apple update release dates:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

You said 9/18 was a spike, if it was 9/19 I would say it's possible you grabbed the iOS 13 update over cellular.

Actually that’s a very possible maybe, thanks