IGNORED

Some duck hunting questions for you seasoned vets..

06roadking

As if I don’t hunt enough stuff already, I’ve decided to try my hand at duck hunting. The place where I predator hunt has a pond and I’ve noticed ducks going in and out all the time. I asked the owner and he said go ahead. So, a guy I know gave me some mallard decoys. 6 are faded but in good shape and 6 are “January Mallards” with much brighter colors. Which should I use when or doesn’t it really make a difference? Also, there is a hedgerow about 10 yards off of the pond. Can I hide in there or do I need to make/buy a blind? The pond is about 50 yards across and 400 yards long if that makes a difference. Thanks for any tips that you guys can provide.

To be honest, any decoy works, it is the shape of the decoys on water that brings the ducks in. Especially early season when majority of the shooting is right at first light. Also early season is a lot of wood ducks/teal. Those ducks don't respond to calls, nor do they decoy like mallards, they kind of buzz by or drop in. So early season I use whatever decoys I have, including full colored ones. Also a hedgerow is perfectly fine if you hide well enough, maybe throw some branches in front of you and avoid making movement when they're coming in. Good luck!

13 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Dont use the bright mallards now.  In all honesty early season I dont really use any decoys..  if they are landing on the pond naturally pick a spot in the hedgerow no need to build a blind..

I agree, just let them come in naturally. Wear a headnet, if they are used to coming in a particular spot they’ll spot a glare off your face and any movement a half mile away. It is amazing how keen they are at picking up on movement and glare.

AWM

Lucky you with own private pond. yea, don't over hunt it. Id repaint a couple of the mallards into black ducks. Separate them into two small groups, one group left, one right and hunt the middle ground. If possible get sun at back or at least sides, wear a camo ball cap or cover head with camo hood and keep head down, look up with eyes only until ready to shoot. 

Good luck 

9 hours ago, jerseyducker said:

Lucky you with own private pond. yea, don't over hunt it. Id repaint a couple of the mallards into black ducks. Separate them into two small groups, one group left, one right and hunt the middle ground. If possible get sun at back or at least sides, wear a camo ball cap or cover head with camo hood and keep head down, look up with eyes only until ready to shoot. 

Good luck 

:up::up:

i am by no means an expert.  i cant even work a duck call lol.  however i used to have private property that had the raritan river running through it.  i could only shoot at ducks flying up the river.  never saw them coming until they were right in front of the trees.  what i did and had good success with was as follows.  i never really called them.  i through out decoys and they would come in the land with them all the time.  i would put out a dozen or so and i experimented with placement.  if the deeks were right in front of me the ducks would land before or after me (very rarely in the spread)  so i would position the decoys about 20 yards to my right and left.  9 out of 10 times them would come land right in front of me.  again i am by no means an expert at all but this worked for me a couple years until i lost the property.  duck hunting is so much fun also, bring a buddy and BS with each other and enjoy the rush. 

Stressing, as others stated, don't over hunt this water and permanently scare off the local ducks. Know that you have your own honey hole, where you can go occasionally and shoot ducks. Fun.

Though I agree that decoys for local ducks on ponds aren't necessary, especially early … unless your pond is full of ducks, you may might use a few decoys to get the birds looking at your end of those 400 yards. I hunt two much smaller woods' ponds in north Jersey, and always I use a few. Easy to carry just a few in with you.

Hunting these small inland waters is so much fun, especially for old coots like me. Have fun.

Don't over think it.  I would still say throw out a small number of dekes to help finish the birds the way you want.   A small jerk rig goes a long way on a small, calm pond.  If you don't like the looks of the decoys I would go buy a dozen cheapos from Dick's Sporting goods rather then painting.  You don't need expensive, oversized decoys  for small water.  Just hide yourself real well and don't overshoot it.  They are resident birds now so you'll probably get one good hunt on them the early week, maybe two if you spread it out.