IGNORED

EHD

midwestxpress

Its back in the Midwest. In some areas its the worst year ever recorded. It happens every year, usually in small areas. This year has been bad.  It seems as though the DNR's are posting numbers of confirmed cases that aren't even in the ball park of really what has happened. They like to keep things close to the vest as this will effect the economy in many states. Just sucks from every angle.

4 hours ago, midwestxpress said:

Its back in the Midwest. In some areas its the worst year ever recorded. It happens every year, usually in small areas. This year has been bad.  It seems as though the DNR's are posting numbers of confirmed cases that aren't even in the ball park of really what has happened. They like to keep things close to the vest as this will effect the economy in many states. Just sucks from every angle.

Truly sucks. I cringe every time I hear about this. Here in NJ, EHD hit many parts- specifically zone 13 hard...3-4 times in a 10 year period a few years ago. Each time the deer seem to recover and numbers begin to increase it hits again. :down::down::down:

Its alway out there. Isolated areas with droughts. I keep in touch with quite a few people as I have a small interest out there and havent heard of any deer being found dead. Around my farm or even in my county. 

I just came back, and no sign of it as of 2 weeks ago in Calhoun County Illinois. 

My area was flooded all spring and early summer but they have been getting frequent rain   

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=246848&messages=13&state=Il

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=246683&messages=9&state=IA

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=246753&messages=3&state=ks

Some guys just thrive on doom and gloom

www.liftxrentals.com

4 hours ago, midwestxpress said:

Where are you hunting?

www.liftxrentals.com

3 hours ago, beaverman said:

any time you have a real wet spring or early summer you will get ideal breeding conditions for the midges that transmit ehd. as wet as it was this year this was expected

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

You would think you need the drought conditions to help concentrate the deer to get the big kill numbers

www.liftxrentals.com

1 hour ago, MFoster said:

My farm In Iowa is getting hit pretty hard this year, extremely wet spring and plenty of rain since then. Pretty sure the theory about it being worse in drought years is over now.There’s a 12 mile by 12 mile area about 50 miles northwest of me that is estimated at 95-100 percent deer loss.

Ouch

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, MFoster said:

My farm In Iowa is getting hit pretty hard this year, extremely wet spring and plenty of rain since then. Pretty sure the theory about it being worse in drought years is over now.There’s a 12 mile by 12 mile area about 50 miles northwest of me that is estimated at 95-100 percent deer loss.

What County? Saw that Warren was getting hit.

4 hours ago, MFoster said:

We had ehd real bad back in 2013. Before that it hit in 07 or 08. It definately sucks because it can take years for an area to recover. Last year was the best on my farm since I purchased it in 2013. 

We are just starting to see our mature bucks on the rebound. I quite a few nice ones 2 weeks ago and Im hoping our area gets spared. 

Its my understanding that once an area gets hit, the deer that survive have increased immunities to ehd and does are able to pass that on to their fawns. 

https://www.purdue.edu/fnr/extension/be-on-the-watch-for-ehd-in-deer/

www.liftxrentals.com

2 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

We had ehd real bad back in 2013. Before that it hit in 07 or 08. It definately sucks because it can take years for an area to recover. Last year was the best on my farm since I purchased it in 2013. 

We are just starting to see our mature bucks on the rebound. I quite a few nice ones 2 weeks ago and Im hoping our area gets spared. 

Its my understanding that once an area gets hit, the deer that survive have increased immunities to ehd and does are able to pass that on to their fawns. 

https://www.purdue.edu/fnr/extension/be-on-the-watch-for-ehd-in-deer/

It’s true that they build immunity, problem is that there’s 7 different strains of ehd and bt, so when a different strain comes thru the herd gets hammered all over again. I’m pretty lucky as all the neighboring land owners are over a thousand acres each  and the herd rebounds pretty quick since there’s so little hunting pressure. Silver lining is that our biggest deer always seem to be a few years after an outbreak because the numbers come down to a more manageable level.