IGNORED

Congrats JHbowhunter! Old 10pt down!

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to Congrats JHbowhunter! Old 10pt down!
2 hours ago, Shootemandmountem said:

Ear looks cut up from kickin some ass!

he was an 8 pt in 2016 and a bully, i figured 2.5 then, but no older than 3.5.   2017 became a 10 pt, the same buck you see today.   Except a little more mass each year but no more beam length no more spread no more tine length.   This year he grew a 1/2" sticker off a G3.  I think he is 5.5, but could be older.  No less than that for sure.  Once he became a 10 in 2017, he cut his ear up during the rut.  I could easily identify him by that ear after he shed, and as he grew anew each year.       THE LAST TIME I SAW THIS BUCK FROM THE STAND WAS 2016 when he was an 8pt!!!!!   I get pics - but he is a ghost (was a ghost).   Most magical hunt you can ever imagine but I need time to properly put it in order and show pics from 2016 forward...    (Ya'all know I will and I have over 45 days to do it right!!!)  This was the only buck worth missing all of October for.  He won't score real high but his mass and the velvet bonus just makes him extra special. 

OH - and last year when I shot a giant split brow 9pt out of same stand, with my father dying of cancer - it was a magical hunt.    I felt my dad's spirit leaving his body and being with me on that hunt. 

This hunt was IDENTICAL in almost every way - if you could have seen how the 2.5 to 3.5 year old bucks were acting all squirly all night - as if there was a much more mature buck in the area same as last year... Then he just appeared - like a ghost... EVERY DEER SCATTERED.   The monarch and long time bully stepped out in the open, with over an hour of shooting light left.  I have not seen him for 9 days on camera and felt that tonight was just an observation hunt - until I saw how the other younger 8 and 9 pt bucks were acting after they would spar.    Only then - did I feel that spiritual connection with my dad.   Hell I just shot my doe last night, I never shot two deer in consecutive days in my life let alone LIKE THIS...    

Yeah I was somewhat impressed with the swhacker on a doe last night, but not with penetration. Same thing tonight- arrow did not bury in dirt as VPA's nearly always do, i saw fletch on one side and BH on the other as it ran away after what I thought was a dead broadside shot.        Arrow eventually worked it's way out at the 100 yard mark, and then went another 50.. The blood trail was consistent but not "great" but I never once had to stop walking in broad daylight to follow..   Exit was definitely LIVER.   I originally said deer ran 250 but I hit it at 20 so it ran 80, then another 50 so deer made it 130 yards.    So the 2.25" Swhacker was very effective on a "good hit" but not great.  (Enter high lung left side, exit low liver right side).       

Summary on the Swhacker - lethal but very poor penetration.   60# Matthews Triax, 465 Gr total arrow weight.   20 YARD SHOT ELEVATED 26' ABOVE DEER. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Awesome Jack! High entrance wound, did that big boy come right under you?

20 yards, 25' above,  the hit was right where i wanted just felt he was dead 90 degree broadside but I was way off exit was liver.     Blood trail was "good" never let up but not like typical double lung. I would not have gotten down immediately if I did not hear it crash. (No mistaking that sound)

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….