Faster

Anyone use Montec G5's?

2 minutes ago, Outandabout90 said:

I've had great bloodtrails with these.  The only issue I've had is they typically require a little extra tuning. I've never had them fly like field tips. No big deal as long as you sight in for what heads you're going to shoot. 

Who tuned your bow?  If anything, these things should fly exactly like field tips.  Quite honestly, 99.9% of broadheads will fly like field points out of a properly tuned bow. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Outandabout90 said:

I've had great bloodtrails with these.  The only issue I've had is they typically require a little extra tuning. I've never had them fly like field tips. No big deal as long as you sight in for what heads you're going to shoot. 

It's not the broad head..  a properly tuned bow will have nearly the same impact with field tip or any broad head. You are not getting optimal penetration. 

5 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Who tuned your bow?  If anything, these things should fly exactly like field tips.  Quite honestly, 99.9% of broadheads will fly like field points out of a properly tuned bow. 

You beat me to it lol..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

You may be able to get the very, very edge of a blade “razor sharp” but it’s only a tiny area being the blade is so thick. That edge is gone in a nano second on a hit. What’s going to cut easier and longer, a 2x4 sharpened to a edge or a piece of paper sharpened to edge? There’s a reason bloodtrials aren’t great and it’s not because it’s a coc it’s because the edge isn’t as or stays as sharp during the pass through. 

respectfully disagree. I see no difference in blood trails with sharp VPA versus any I ever had from traditional muzzy 3 blade or thunderhead.  If anything -better blood.   The only reason they dull after shot is because they penetrate as good as anything ever made, and dirt dulls any razor edge regardless of angle.    When I shoot them into target it takes many shots to eventually dull them.  

I can put together a long pictorial of many blood trails from this design.  I can only think of two that were less than optimal. One a high lung hit on a 200# dressed Ohio buck (had good blood until it ran dry last 150 yards so had to grid search).  The other a doe that center punched heart and ran downhill full speed 150 yards and only blood was last 50.     

With the proper shot placement - most (but not all)  deer have dropped in sight and no trail required. 

Just now, JHbowhunter said:

The only reason they dull after shot is because they penetrate as good as anything ever made, and dirt dulls any razor edge regardless of angle.    When I shoot them into target it takes many shots to eventually dull them.  

I think that's a good point.  Most broadheads end up in the dirt, so they'll be dull no matter how sharp they may have been upon exiting the deer's body.  

That being said, there are so many other variables that will add to what "dulls" a sharpened piece of steel.  Cutting hair will dull the blade, so will slicing enough meat.  Hitting bone will dull the blade.  The hardness of the steel will affect these variables.

Then we can talk about the actual edge of the broadhead (or blade)...  How "sharp" was it in the first place.  I know this discussion came up a while ago and there was a bit of butthurt going on by folks who don't understand steel.  Was the blade truly sharpened (old spent steel was removed and fresh steel was exposed) or was it simply "honed" by realigning the old spent steel.  We can go on and on in regards to this topic.  A "sharpened" blade will be more durable than a "honed" blade.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

It's not the broad head..  a properly tuned bow will have nearly the same impact with field tip or any broad head. You are not getting optimal penetration. 

That's a total crock .

Bows set 100 percent to shoot field points have a FOC based on over all length. 

Broadheads being longer change those dynamics. And change the spine of the arrow .

A super tuned bow will shoot a broadheads of the same weight slightly towards 11 o clock due to that spine change .

Guys who tune their bows to make FP and broadheads to the same point actually are in between tune of what's perfect for either .

Good shooters can show you the difference when a bow is super tuned to shoot one or the other .

• Like 1

Just now, hammer4reel said:

That's a total crock .

Bows set 100 percent to shoot field points have a FOC based on over all length. 

Broadheads being longer change those dynamics. And change the spine of the arrow .

A super tuned bow will shoot a broadheads of the same weight slightly towards 11 o clock due to that spine change .

Guys who tune their bows to make FP and broadheads to the same point actually are in between tune of what's perfect for either .

Good shooters can show you the difference when a bow is super tuned to shoot one or the other .

True, but for all intents and purposes, you're probably one of the only guys on this site who not only knows the difference, but who can shoot accurately and consistently enough to actually see the difference.  The differences are so minimal and the shot distances are so short for most hunters, especially NJ hunters, that I think it's pretty safe to say that a properly tuned bow will shoot "most" field points and broadheads "exactly" the same.   Right?

36 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Like you said 99.9%, Muzzy MX-#, NAPS, Grim Reapers, all the flew same as field tips. My bow did not like the montecs and I switched to Muzzy. 

Either way to answer the OPs question I had great blood trails with the G5s when I was using them. 

18 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

BINGO - that's how my TRIAX is set up. I moved rest 1/16" to the right, and both VPA and Field point now have same POI 20, 30 yards.   Doesn't mean my bow wasn't perfectly tuned prior for the field point.    

2 hours ago, not on the rug said:

True, but for all intents and purposes, you're probably one of the only guys on this site who not only knows the difference, but who can shoot accurately and consistently enough to actually see the difference.  The differences are so minimal and the shot distances are so short for most hunters, especially NJ hunters, that I think it's pretty safe to say that a properly tuned bow will shoot "most" field points and broadheads "exactly" the same.   Right?

Not true.’ I have shown  more than a few guys that thought there set ups were perfect . Had them adjust their rests to tune their broad heads better.

they cut their 40 yard groups in half.

broadheads will exaggerate any small deviation .

shooting a stiffer arrow than needed can make that adjustment less, but it’s stll just a band aid on a not completed tune.

every little step you can do to make the nock follow the broadhead exactly will enhance penetration also..

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Not true.’ I have shown  more than a few guys that thought there set ups were perfect . Had them adjust their rests to tune their broad heads better.

they cut their 40 yard groups in half.

broadheads will exaggerate any small deviation .

shooting a stiffer arrow than needed can make that adjustment less, but it’s stll just a band aid on a not completed tune.

every little step you can do to make the nock follow the broadhead exactly will enhance penetration also..

I get what you're saying.  I guess my point is that most folks, especially NJ whitetail hunters, aren't even shooting 40 yards when they practice or can't rally shoot a tight 40 yard group in the first place due to their own poor technique.  It would be impossible for someone like that to discern the difference between the way their field tips are grouping vs the way their broadheads are grouping because again, they aren't shooting tight groups anyway.  

I'd venture to say that most folks also aren't paper tuning or bareshaft tuning their bows in the first place, they're grabbing a bow off the rack at cabelas and sighting it in a few days before the opener.  On top of too-stiff arrows, they're probably only using mechanicals too, which will also help to cover up tuning issues. 

• Agree 1

Just now, not on the rug said:

I get what you're saying.  I guess my point is that most folks, especially NJ whitetail hunters, aren't even shooting 40 yards when they practice or can't rally shoot a tight 40 yard group in the first place due to their own poor technique.  It would be impossible for someone like that to discern the difference between the way their field tips are grouping vs the way their broadheads are grouping because again, they aren't shooting tight groups anyway.  

I'd venture to say that most folks also aren't paper tuning or bareshaft tuning their bows in the first place, they're grabbing a bow off the rack at cabelas and sighting it in a few days before the opener.  On top of too-stiff arrows, they're probably only using mechanicals too, which will also help to cover up tuning issues. 

Agree 100% 

but those same guys come on here and tell others that their stuff is done correctly .’passing bad information further .’

a guy who can’t shoot a measly 40 yards shouldn’t be telling anyone how to CORRECTLY set up their bow.

21 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

a guy who can’t shoot a measly 40 yards shouldn’t be telling anyone how to CORRECTLY set up their bow.

My problem recently is that the target is starting to get a little fuzzy for me when I get out to 40 yards or more.  I guess I'm just getting old.  I'm wondering if I should maybe switch to a sight with .010 pins.  I hear they can be tough to pick up in low light though, so you need to use a light.  No big deal

Edited by not on the rug

30 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

My problem recently is that the target is starting to get a little fuzzy for me when I get out to 40 yards or more.  I guess I'm just getting old.  I'm wondering if I should maybe switch to a sight with .010 pins.  I hear they can be tough to pick up in low light though, so you need to use a light.  No big deal

Need to go to larger pins , not smaller .

10/1000 are tiny .

what really helps aging eyes is a  verifier from specialty archery .

lets you see the pins crystal clear again.

just need to buy the correct power to not blur the target out .

8 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Need to go to larger pins , not smaller .

10/1000 are tiny .

what really helps aging eyes is a  verifier from specialty archery .

lets you see the pins crystal clear again.

just need to buy the correct power to not blur the target out .

OK.  I think I'm confused now.  

I can still see the pins very clearly, it's the target that is getting blurry for me.  I thought a verifier was used to clear up the pins?

I shoot .019 pins now.  Wouldn't a larger pin just muddy up what I'm seeing now? I'd feel like I was just guessing as to where my arrow was going.  

I feel like the dots I'm aiming at are a little fuzzy so how do I clear that up?  I already wear glasses or contacts for distance, and my prescription is current and good.  

Edited by not on the rug