IGNORED

Let's Play a Game

Rusty

7 minutes ago, bucky said:

Right in the ole pinch pipe:D

1717506531_doetarget_LI.jpg.6c55c1264c4a03f42b00d6fbbd7e029b.jpg

I was about 17 when a group of about seven of us used to take off the first week and camp and Hunt Swartswood Park.Ronnie shot a deer he said it was walking away from him,he just saw the flag and shot it right in the hole.well when we got back home he checked it in at Butts & Bows it weighed 28 lb's,we said you don't have to hang it you can just stick it in the frigerator everybody made so much fun of him he didn't hunt for another two years.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Imagine this is a giant buck instead of a fawn..
Shoot or dont shoot?
Hes calm and might continue beneath you to a chip shot, or he might get to the base of your tree and wind you.
You are right handed. And need to spin 180 degrees to draw your bow.
Crunch time..
Risk the movement?
Risk getting winded?
Risk the straight down shot?

Me- I'd wait.. he would probably get to the base of the tree, get nervous, and bound off..
As he trots off I'd spin and draw the bow, possibly let out a "baaaa". They usually run off 15-30 yards and stop, turn broadside to look 1 last time..
Now I'm ready and hopefully have an opening to take the better shot offer.
That's an adrenaline packed scenerio.. been there more than once.
20190914_182115.jpg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

20190914_182115.jpg.d9595eb2fc4b27744f344dc18fcfa52f.thumb.jpg.2822cc217855b426aa567b79bb78586d.jpg

Took many deer like this with no failures.  Most were heart shots and didn't go 30yds.  When I wore a safety belt, I had the tether just long enough so I could lean out and it would hold me from going too far.  Same with the harness, I added another tether to the drag loop that would hold me when I leaned forward.  Have to practice it so you know where you'll hit at that angle and distance.  Don't want to shoot by just lowering your arm, and have to know you won't hit the stand with the bottom limb.