BowhunterNJ

NJ Woods & Water 2019-2020 Adult Deer Hunting Contest Teams & Entries

On 2/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, Nomad said:

Side note...  Cut a 2x2 to the length of the inside spread(or larger;)).  Insert the 2x2 between beams.  Leave it there until the antlers dry and the spread will stay the length of the 2x2 that you inserted.

I have actually thought of that, but never bother.   Even though I been yearning for an extra inch or two most of my life :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

I have actually thought of that, but never bother.   

If you shoot a 20" buck and want it to stay that way it's a good method.  

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, JHbowhunter said:

I think his mistake was taking a pic with ruler up there, which creates a false depth perception issue.  I just checked 4 of my biggest racks and not a single one has more spread up in the tines, all have the best spread between the beams... Just glancing at all the others, i don't see a single rack that is wider between the tines. So I think it's more likely his original green measurement was pretty darn close, except now after drying when he gets it back it will have lost at least 1/2" but still won't change the outcome for the contest.    I never thought to check that out on my racks - but it's true.   Generally the best spread is between the beams on the "inside". 

My 2nd buck measured 2" wider on the time length than the inside beams. I've seen a few that way. I took the 15" inside spread of the beams for the contest and not the 17" for tine spread.

Screenshot_20200220-192526_Photos.jpg

Edited by Buck154
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just remeasured my buck and it's actually 3 inches bigger. ;)

Edited by Nomad
  • Haha 4
  • Winner 1

24 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

My 2nd buck measured 2" wider on the time length than the inside beams. I've seen a few that way. I took the 15" inside spread of the beams for the contest and not the 17" for time spread.

Screenshot_20200220-192526_Photos.jpg

yeah no doubt - that buck was a freak, both your bucks were

• Haha 1

It's strange. Maybe I measured wrong the first time but I just remeasured the inside spread on my buck and it grew by 8 inches!

IMG_20200301_140010.jpg

• Haha 6

And we were going to do what? Full P&Y scoring ?:shock::happywave:

On 2/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, Nomad said:

Side note...  Cut a 2x2 to the length of the inside spread(or larger;)).  Insert the 2x2 between beams.  Leave it there until the antlers dry and the spread will stay the length of the 2x2 that you inserted.

Sadly that creates loose wiggle between the skull plates and disqualifies if from P&Y.  Or so a friend told me.   :pout:   

So what happened to this contest? 
is it shutdown like NHL and NBA?:confused:

• Haha 1

Waiting for KBFishing to get his euro rack back for a second measure on its width.    There was a miscalculation on the totaling of his original scoring submission in other areas that gave him an additional 2 points, so he'd have to have been off by 2.5"+ in the width to change the outcome.  Hopefully he gets it back soon. 

• Like 1

Well came in last personally and by team so next season no pressure -

can't do any worse! :)

• Haha 4