Bones

Chukar stocked for training

11 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

The division needs to stop playing w their Chukar!!

Chukars suck!!

LMAO tell me how you really feel, come on don’t hold back :rofl:

• Haha 1

nice, good info. ill try to get capone there on those days. 

I don't know much about hunting stocked birds...are you allowed to shoot the chukars during training? 

1 minute ago, Stan Putz said:

I don't know much about hunting stocked birds...are you allowed to shoot the chukars during training? 

They are stocked for dog training only season will not be open

Edited by vdep217
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stan Putz said:

season won't be open  then so, no. The chukars are fox food :) 

• Like 1

Just now, vdep217 said:

They are stocked for dot training only season will not be open

Does NJ even have a chukar season?  Not trying to be smart, just curious.

2 minutes ago, Stan Putz said:

Does NJ even have a chukar season?  Not trying to be smart, just curious.

chukar is just a partridge - yes, season for that.

See pg 57 of digest:

Pheasant & Partridge Nov. 9–Dec. 7; Dec. 16, 17 & 19– Feb. 17 (except Sundays) Sunrise to ½ hour after sunset Partridge — 7 Pheasant — 2 8 a.m. start on Nov. 9 Pheasant and Quail Stamp required on designated areas (see Small Game Hunting page 55)

Edited by mazzgolf
  • Like 1

Just now, mazzgolf said:

chukar is just a partridge - yes, season for that.

Thanks, I've shot a couple at a preserve years ago, they were actually pretty tasty (liked them better than pheasant). Stan was a good boy today, he learned something new. :nerd::)

What was left out in the OP's posting of the DF&W notice about the chukar stocking was the number of birds. The DF&W notice on its website stated 880 birds will be stocked at 11 WMAs over the course of four Saturdays in October. That is an average of 20 birds at each WMA on each Saturday. Those few birds will not last beyond the weekends. I don't go on the weekends. I wait and go during the week days. The last few years since they started stocking chukars for dog training rather than pheasants or quail as they did in the past, I have yet to find any chukars left after the weekend.

A couple of years ago, I sent a written proposal to DF&W to have the chukar season open the same time as the rabbit and squirrel seasons. Such an earlier opening will give us bird dog guys, who do not belong to a semi-wild, extra time to work our dogs with shooting on birds we purchase and stock ourselves. An earlier season would not put any extra pressure on a wild chukar population that does not exist. My proposal was rejected without any reasons given.

9 hours ago, OldPiney Woods said:

What was left out in the OP's posting of the DF&W notice about the chukar stocking was the number of birds. The DF&W notice on its website stated 880 birds will be stocked at 11 WMAs over the course of four Saturdays in October. That is an average of 20 birds at each WMA on each Saturday. Those few birds will not last beyond the weekends. I don't go on the weekends. I wait and go during the week days. The last few years since they started stocking chukars for dog training rather than pheasants or quail as they did in the past, I have yet to find any chukars left after the weekend.

A couple of years ago, I sent a written proposal to DF&W to have the chukar season open the same time as the rabbit and squirrel seasons. Such an earlier opening will give us bird dog guys, who do not belong to a semi-wild, extra time to work our dogs with shooting on birds we purchase and stock ourselves. An earlier season would not put any extra pressure on a wild chukar population that does not exist. My proposal was rejected without any reasons given.

As stated....chukars suck as a game bird.....although they are tasty!

And.......

Imagine that, a constituent of NJFW offers a reasonable proposal that is in line with their Mission and Goals as stated on the inside cover of their Digest.....and gets rejected without explanation.......no wonder why council mtgs are held on Tuesdays at 10 AM when no license buyers can attend!!!

Chukar were stocked for training last year also and I did shoot one well into November.  It was a nice healthy, tasty bird, so some do make it.

Bonefreak, as to your comment about the timing of the Council meeting. Even if you attend you won't get much satisfaction. Each person from the public who wants to speak is only allowed to speak for 3 minutes and rarely is there any response from the Council members or discussion permitted. I initially presented my chukar proposal to the Council at a meeting. The only response was for me to submit my proposal in writing to the Division Director. I submitted my proposal as directed. I never received an acknowledgement that my proposal was received even though I provided my email address.( how difficult is it for someone in the Director's office to provide a quick email response that my proposal was received??) I never received a personal response that my proposal was rejected. I only found out the proposal was rejected when I read a Division summary on line concerning revisions to the hunting regulations. In that summary there was a list of proposals that were rejected with no reasons for the rejections. My proposal was included in that list. It seems that the only proposals that are given any consideration are proposals that are submitted by the County Federations of Sportsman Clubs.

• Like 1