IGNORED

OutdrDave's 2014 shed hunting Journal

outdrdave

I have posted this on two other forums but I realize there are a few here that may like to follow along like in the past as well. 

Weekend of Jan 25/26

Went for a short walk today in the snow to pull a camera and do some late season scouting. I was hopeful I would find a shed or two but no luck with that. 

Always good to walk in on your spot to see you cameras still there. 

IMAG0122_zps543bjxog.jpg

There were several beds within 30 yards of the camera but no decent bucks on camera. Two smaller bucks lost one side in the last few days. 
IMAG0123_zps8sr29eni.jpg

Minutes after getting to the next spot I came across this sweet rub. 
IMAG0125_zpskzcrzhjw.jpg

Thought this was a cool scrape at the bottom of a small laurel ridge. 
IMAG0127_zpsuwdevdtn.jpg

Up on top of that little ridge was this cluster of beds next to a rub from this fall. 
IMAG0128_zps3xrwilw7.jpg

Next to the highway was the remains of this doe 
IMAG0129_zpsynfvpmwy.jpg

Would be awesome have a few encounters from a ground blind in this spot.  Hopeful this area gives up a few sheds this season. 
IMAG0132_zpshobyqiwz.jpg

This bed had a little bit of blood in it 

IMAG0133_zpsni4yuhiu.jpg

IMAG0134_zpsahfzcsq6.jpg

The last spot I walked has a lot of green briar and grassy wooded areas. There isnt a lot of elevation change but this small rise had a number of big beds. The whole area was torn up with sign and loaded with beds. 
IMAG0135_zpszlts6j1u.jpg

Hopefully the snow sticks around so I can scout out several other spots.
Edited by outdrdave

Weekend of Feb 1/2:

Saturday, headed to a few new spots to scout in the snow and was able to find that 10% of the property the deer really seem to be using. Even found a few fresh scrapes with I thought was cool.

IMAG0170_zpsaky1p5ee.jpg

IMAG0172_zpsbdonnbi3.jpg

IMAG0174_zpsq9pdnk0v.jpg

IMAG0179_zpsdriazafr.jpg

Sunday, headed back to the general area and put in more time on a few more public places. Found a dead buck, came across a few nice rubs and even saw a snake (btw, I am terrified of snakes).

IMAG0184_zpsj7ddbi69.jpg

IMAG0180_zpscxww9j3h.jpg

IMAG0166_zpsrtz1xovf.jpg

IMAG0185_zpsmk890xhl.jpg

Edited by outdrdave

Weekend of Feb 22/23:

Saturday took my son with me. He had a good time but I only made it a few hours with the snow under feet and monster man on my back.

IMAG0263_zps85v3sapx.jpg

Sunday changed out a memory card that still showed a few bucks still packing. Put in a few hours in a spot that was good to me last year and picked up a shed from last season. My first shed of the season, typically have two dozen sheds by March 1st, interesting year.

IMAG0271_zpsd6gccxzn.jpg

IMAG0272_zpsv9n4hnln.jpg

IMAG0273_zpsxboxwrsc.jpg

IMAG0275_zpsfyp0txhr.jpg

Headed to another new spot and found this dead head after a few hours of walking (its still laying there).

IMAG0280_zps4v60tsri.jpg

IMAG0279_zpst1qhlfvt.jpg

Weekend of Mar 1/2:

Did not make it out, trying to get my wife some time to herself before I head out to the Midwest for my annual scouting/shed hunting trip. : )

Edited by outdrdave

Awesome!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear