Jaysteph

Optimistic Public land Pheasant season

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Here's the chart for the individual north areas ...

north-chart.png.fc356ec4cbe6b08b68c233bb5f056b25.png

Great work thank you for all this info.

State delivery boys use fuzzy math or our 3 dogs just lost their sense of smell. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i sure hope its a good stocking year. this will be the first full season with my dog.  and hes become a bird finding machine lol. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately it wasn't just the numbers . These boys were just driving up to the first paring lot and opening the crates . It looked like they hated their jobs .

Now understand I firmly believe that NJ had one of the best stocking programs out there, I just hope we can get back to that !

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ithaca10 said:

How much for a stamp? $40 bucks shit i spend alot more than that to fish for fluke and get shit.

I got birds last year my dog is by no means the greatest but she puts them up.  40 dollars to get the dog out is worth it to me.  If not I'd probly put it on the bar.

• Like 2

You can talk about numbers, make fancy graphs and charts and do quantum equations but they are not stocking enough birds up north.  I don't even think they are stocking the numbers they claim.  This opinion comes from running a good dog and conversations with other dog hunters I know.   The fact is dogs don't lie, if they say they stocked a couple hundred birds that day and I run several areas and hear 8/10 shots and flush 1 or 2 birds with a really good dog,  who do you believe?  Running a dog to often without a reasonable number of bird finds just ruins a good dog, regardless of the $40 cost of the stamp. 

I have mostly given up on NJ bird hunting and hunt out of state, but yes I still get out locally here and there, I just don't expect much when I do. 

Lack of birds aren't my only issues, overall management, field conditions, regulations and the constant changes.  What it took  F&W 20 + years to figure out the Grouse where in trouble.  Never mind Chukar for the last stocking, just brilliant. 

Enjoy your season Guys,  I'll run a trial next week then it's a trip to New England. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonT said:

You can talk about numbers, make fancy graphs and charts and do quantum equations but they are not stocking enough birds up north.  I don't even think they are stocking the numbers they claim.  This opinion comes from running a good dog and conversations with other dog hunters I know.   The fact is dogs don't lie, if they say they stocked a couple hundred birds that day and I run several areas and hear 8/10 shots and flush 1 or 2 birds with a really good dog,  who do you believe?  Running a dog to often without a reasonable number of bird finds just ruins a good dog, regardless of the $40 cost of the stamp. 

I have mostly given up on NJ bird hunting and hunt out of state, but yes I still get out locally here and there, I just don't expect much when I do. 

Lack of birds aren't my only issues, overall management, field conditions, regulations and the constant changes.  What it took  F&W 20 + years to figure out the Grouse where in trouble.  Never mind Chukar for the last stocking, just brilliant. 

Enjoy your season Guys,  I'll run a trial next week then it's a trip to New England. 

Well said, the dogs tell the story. My dog is a hunting machine and we covered MILES of area last year. I also don’t believe they were stocking anywhere near the numbers they were claiming. I hunted both stocking and non stocking days, fields, swamps and some of the nastiest cover anyone would want to hunt through

• Like 2

Hopefully things will be better this year since the numbers are up from last year and maybe the State will not have to supplement the numbers with chukars like last year. However, the same issues will exist under the new allocation plan that went into effect two years ago. As indicated here, in the Northern Region birds were reallocated from WMAs like Black River and Clinton to the Water Gap. The goal was to get more hunters to go the the WG to reduce crowding at the other WMAs for safety reasons. The same factor exists in the Central Region. I hunt Assunpink and Colliers Mills exclusively. Since I retired 8 years ago, I usually get out 2 or 3 days a week during the season. I don't hunt the stocking morning but rather the afternoons or non stocking days. I have a good pointing dog. Prior to the new stocking plan, I always found plenty of birds. The last two years under the new plan the birds have been scarce. Even though the Central Region got additional birds taken from the North's numbers, they did not go to the larger WMAs in the Central Region. Assunpink and Colliers Mills received less birds than than prior to the new plan. The extra birds went to the smaller WMAs in the Central Region.  Some of the smaller WMAs use to only be stocked on Saturdays but under the new plan are now stocked 3 days a week. The same reason for this was to get hunters to move to the smaller WMAs to reduce crowding at the larger WMAs for safety reasons. The problem with the smaller WMAs is that because they are small the birds are more concentrated and get shot in the first few hours of stocking days or quickly get driven off the WMA  area into unhuntable neighboring properties. Accordingly I foresee the same complaints of poor hunting again this year due to the new allocation plan still in effect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Piney... What Central small WMAs are you talking about that were stocked  from 1 day to 3? Curious if I want to try a different area. Thanks.

Berkshire Valley - from 1300 to 620   ....... very disappointing. 

The 620 from last year was WAY overstated. Numerous stocking days without the sign of a stocking truck the night before.

Or incredible lazy stocking that just drops two pens in the parking lot and takes off..... Hoping for improvement  as I've been hunting B.V. most of my life.

• Agree 1

TouchofGrey, 

If you google the schedules for previous years you can compare the places and numbers.  In 2015, WMAs like Greenwood-Howardsville, Manahankin, Medford and Manasquan were only stocked on Saturdays. In 2016 those places started getting a few birds during the week. Then in 2017 and 2018 under the new allocation plan the number of birds like doubled in those places and the numbers at Assunpink and Colliers Mills were reduced.

• Agree 1