Codaboy

Little story

4 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Yea ok.... tell my dad and grandfather that! My dad used to weld up semi  portables in the shop, he’s made dozens. Guess how many are left? Three, of his latest that I use on public and not one has been touched in years. Colliers mills he had wooden stands that someone went and cut 3/4 of the way through the 2x4’s to potentially cause serious harm! Bridges at creek crossings constantly taken or broken. 

Then there’s the game thief’s that have stolen his deer right from him. He taught me to carve initials into the hoof and bury it in leaves of his deer to stop it from happening. Drivers walking anywhere they wanted giving the finger as they walked under. Poaching was the norm, if anything it’s gotten better! The difference now is there’s less land, less deer, more valuables in the woods and the Internet to complain on for all to know.  

You forgot the slug holes shot through the platform of the wooden stands. I never had any 2X4's cut though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kcohunter said:

Gun hunters have always been A-holes.Bowhunters

usually not.

That's what I'm talking about experience wise,plus I hunted Taylor ham country.Never piney land.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • Confused 1

I don't hunt "buck week" for a reason. Weekend warriors and gun clubs have ruined that season for me. 

I love when guys say it's "my spot" or that's "my buck" just because he has a pic of him on his cell phone. 

Strange times indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

that sucks on your part. but its amazing how all these posts happen every year before and during hunting season. i myself will not be deer hunting this year because once again i have no private property to myself.  i dont have the pateince anymore to deer hunt state land. i lost way to much stuff and was shot at! hearing slugs fly over head is scary.   to much bs goes on. 2 years ago i lost my one and only private spot due to new ownership. and its been 2 years since i shot deer. 

2 hours ago, Kype said:

that sucks on your part. but its amazing how all these posts happen every year before and during hunting season. i myself will not be deer hunting this year because once again i have no private property to myself.  i dont have the pateince anymore to deer hunt state land. i lost way to much stuff and was shot at! hearing slugs fly over head is scary.   to much bs goes on. 2 years ago i lost my one and only private spot due to new ownership. and its been 2 years since i shot deer. 

There is ALOT of very good underhunted public land.

Limited access park hunts etc,many good properties for a small fee and many are even free

not hunting because you don't have a private spot instead of just doing some leg work means you really don't want to go .

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

4 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Limited access park hunts etc,many good properties for a small fee and many are even free

not hunting because you don't have a private spot instead of just doing some leg work means you really don't want to go .

Wow - you do not sugarcoat things do you Dan?

Thats why i don't tell anyone about the 12 pt buck i saw crossing 519 in alumuchy by the 711 going into state property.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

its not that i dont want to go. i do. i have had some horrible experiences while hunting next to others. is there public land out there far from others? of course there is. at this time in my life do i have the time to explore that route. no. 

14 hours ago, Kype said:

its not that i dont want to go. i do. i have had some horrible experiences while hunting next to others. is there public land out there far from others? of course there is. at this time in my life do i have the time to explore that route. no. 

Do some homework . There are spots all over this state that could get you into a good spot to hunt without the normal public spot nightmares

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, madeinuk said:

Wow - you do not sugarcoat things do you Dan?

No reason to , there are hundreds of spots that are public with limited access.

while hunting WMA may not be for everyone , even many of those are underhunted .

just takes a half hour of leg work on the computer to find spots relatively close to anyone’s homes .

18 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

No reason to , there are hundreds of spots that are public with limited access.

while hunting WMA may not be for everyone , even many of those are underhunted .

just takes a half hour of leg work on the computer to find spots relatively close to anyone’s homes .

Agree 100%. I shot three of my four bucks on wma.  They were each killed in different stands also. Two out of those 3 spots i will never see another person. One is where they stock pheasant so obviously there is visitors in the mornings.  You just spots like that in afternoon. Deer come right back in as the shooting decreases. I have at least 6 stands set up on public. I have had a couple grow legs but i knew that was possible becaude of where they were. I just used was the risk worth the reward when deciding to set up in a particular spot. Kype dtop making excuses and feeling sorry for yourself. Get out there and get it done.