johnyanu

how to keep bears out of deer bait

I hang a set of my keys on the feeder,

as soon as a bear touches it the keys jingle and they run off.

They are terrified of jingling keys .

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Bears can be a real pain when baiting in areas with lots of them.  One option is a timed feeder that only puts out a small amount of bait each day.  

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

I agree with birdshotnj, in my experience if you spread the corn over a wide area, bear are less likely to devour the bait and sometimes don’t even bother to stop to eat it

• Like 2

10 hours ago, electric10162 said:

The only thing that works for me is drilling holes in the mineral blocks and cable to a tree. They come but soon get frustrated and leave.

This is what I do as well.  A few super heavy duty zip ties work pretty well also,but I use to use steal cable ran through the center of a block and around a tree. 

• Like 1

I spread corn out thin not a pile, don’t use apples or molasses either. Once in a while I’ll get a pic of a bear but they don’t stick around. If you pile it they will lay down in it and eat. They’re lazy and when it’s spread then it’s too much work. Also apples when they start to ferment for some reason draw in the bears. And molasses is a big no in the areas I hunt. I do apples winter bow but not early or fall bow.  There’s a pic how I spread mine out.

03C851CF-835C-47BA-9D4F-2C6E4297D1F7.jpeg

• Like 1