Batsto

Bobwhite Quail info

Awesome! This sounds like what it was like in, when was it? late 70s early 80s? when they shipped in and released some wild turkeys here. Now turkeys are everywhere (I almost ran into a flock of hens with my truck tonight!) Hopefully the same thing happens -- I would love a wild and sustainable population of upland birds like that here.

Predator control is a major limiting factor for growing a wild quail population and i am really surprised it wasn't mentioned at all, but they probably dont want the bad PR from anti trappers....or maybe it's connected to the programs funding

My pal said they only talk about them needing good habitat to escape all the predators that are out to get them. So I guess those poor quail are going to be running and flying for their lives in the dark every night. There's three things that'll make quail populations rise. Good habitat, good dry weather, and the predator index. We have no control over the weather but we can control two out of three. And there's no way their eggs are escaping when here comes a possum, skunk, Fox, or raccoon wandering up to her nest when she's sitting on them.

I remember hunting wild Quail in Millville back in the late 70's and 80's. I've seen wild quail in the Englishtown area in the late 80's. No more.

20 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Awesome! This sounds like what it was like in, when was it? late 70s early 80s? when they shipped in and released some wild turkeys here. Now turkeys are everywhere (I almost ran into a flock of hens with my truck tonight!) Hopefully the same thing happens -- I would love a wild and sustainable population of upland birds like that here.

That was back around 1973 with the wild turkey reintroduction here in NJ. 

We had quail in our backyard in the early 80s in Toms River before the BIG development boom......was like Huck Finn adventures trying to get one w the ol Daisy!!  Lol

I remember the good quail days. We were going to go sit for squirrels one afternoon down reed rd before those houses were ever built and great adventure was not there yet. Had to be a hundred quail right on the dirt road. I also had large covies fly in a couple times while deer hunting. Scared the living daylights out of me especially the one time I was sitting on the ground. 

• Like 2

As an upland bird hunter with a pointing dog, I would love to see  a return of a huntable population of wild quail. However I am not optimistic that such is possible. The success referenced in the article on the couple cranberry farms is an island of suitable habitat in a sea of unsuitable habitat in the rest of NJ. In the article, the cranberry farmers even concede the suitable habitat they maintain is because it benefits their unique farming operations. That is not the case with most farming practices used today. I have lived in Burlington County for 36 years. When I first moved here I had open fields all around me and quail. Now most of those fields are housing developments and the quail are all gone.  There is no way quail  can be reestablished in those areas. Also, as already mentioned is the predator populations that are no longer being controlled as in the past. I think the best that can be expected is the establishment of small residual non hunted  populations in special areas like the ones mentioned in the article.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2