IGNORED

Central PA hunting

Hey all, my father and I own a trailer with a backyard that is state game lands 321. We are looking to convert it into a hunting cabin and would like to rent it for hunting seasons. We are trying to establish what we would charge for weekly or even full season rates. The property has a detached 2 car garage that can used be used for hanging deer/bear and or storage. We may even scout and hang stands for maximum results. I am thinking $200 a person, minimum of 4 hunters, kids under 16 stay free. The only cost associated for the group would be food, beer etc. We will provide fresh linens, snow removal, heat/electric. I am just seeking honest opinions about the price, if it is not economical for us to keep we will be selling the property.

Pa leases are much less than NJ, if you can find them. If 200 is a week i think thats on the high end. There are a few clubs I know around the Kempton area that are $700yr dues with on site hookups for campers and a pavillion. For 200 a wk I would say you need to have stands and plots.DIY hunts in OH can be had for $500 and you have the opportunity to take a quality deer. Do I think you will get 200, yes.

I appreciate the feed back, I would like to set stands and all that but my father is worried about liability. There is some bruiser deer out there and I think people would be happy with the results. My family out there are harvesting bruisers in that are, like 200 lb dressers. My fathers 200 acre farm will also be a secondary spot for firearms and bow, he has bear roaming his land as well.

I'm paranoid, and would be with your father on the stand thing. All you need is one strap chewed by a squirrel snap off with a guy in the stand. Because you would be leasing and not giving access for free, I'm betting you would need to get really good liability insurance.

I know in NJ (I do not know if PA has the same kind of laws), there is the Landowner Liability Act that frees the landowner from liability from hunting mishaps like that BUT ONLY if you give free access. Once you start taking money for a lease, then you start to take on liability.

I am not a lawyer, but that is my layman's understanding. Anyway, I would be with your father - I would worry about liability if you start putting up stands for your guests to use. Definitely consult a lawyer (actually, if you are thinking of going into this kind of business, consult a lawyer anyway - they can tell you what other pitfalls may await you - guys slips on the ice outside, a hunter shoots and injures another hunter or a hiker, guy trips over  a log and breaks a leg, etc, etc. Who knows. But whatever, you will probably still need liability insurance, even if you don't set up stands.).

Does it have running water and electricity?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

16 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm paranoid, and would be with your father on the stand thing. All you need is one strap chewed by a squirrel snap off with a guy in the stand. Because you would be leasing and not giving access for free, I'm betting you would need to get really good liability insurance.

I know in NJ (I do not know if PA has the same kind of laws), there is the Landowner Liability Act that frees the landowner from liability from hunting mishaps like that BUT ONLY if you give free access. Once you start taking money for a lease, then you start to take on liability.

I am not a lawyer, but that is my layman's understanding. Anyway, I would be with your father - I would worry about liability if you start putting up stands for your guests to use. Definitely consult a lawyer (actually, if you are thinking of going into this kind of business, consult a lawyer anyway - they can tell you what other pitfalls may await you - guys slips on the ice outside, a hunter shoots and injures another hunter or a hiker, guy trips over  a log and breaks a leg, etc, etc. Who knows. But whatever, you will probably still need liability insurance, even if you don't set up stands.).

I appreciate that perspective.

Just have a top map of the area in the cabin. See if you add other seasons people hunt the early season then come up for rifle 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford