IGNORED

Appalachian Trail camera pictures- scrape, bears , bucks

1190ftalt

Well starting to get dialed in on hunting, getting out every weekend now checking cameras and setting up new ones up, I usually go solo, I find when I am solo I see more and find more sign ! Well last week I found 2 sheds and set up a camera in a new area and had some bucks at night, went scouting about a 1/4 mile away and found a great little shelf off the AT that had some good sign and a abundance of acorns and old rubs and scrapes, I made a mock scrape and sure enough a bear walked by and in the first picture you see HIM turn to the right and look when he is about 3 feet  passed the scrape , got his curiosity! ( just put in it a LITTLE doe pee) Well then I did get a nice buck check out the scrape and go toe to toe with the little buck, not to bad. Funny at these 2 new spots the one I have bucks and does during the day and the other just does during the day, once I get them going to both I will probably eliminate the one or maybe I will put up another lock-on stand by the other.

Its still early but then again it almost isn’t !

Well yesterday I took my buddy to a spot that I haven’t hunted in 2 years because there are 2 bears each about 450-500 pounds there that believe or not travel together, I never see 2 males always together , it is a good 40 minute walk going at a good clip . I am not afraid of bears , I could probably make short work of a 500 pound bear but 2 would be difficult and I don’t hunt bears so I pulled my stand and cameras last year. Funny thing is when I pulled my stuff I saw a RECONYX CAMERA on a tree , wow good for this person putting in the work and getting out there, the nearest place to park a car and walk to this camera is 1 hour! So when I saw it yesterday I was surprised, then my buddy told me it was a VERY expensive one, I ONLY USE 120.00 dollar Bushnell so not up on the camera thing , so I was a little shocked about the cost! Anyway The DWGNPS is still a place in NJ where you could put out a camera and forget where you put it, i still GPS all my stands and cameras at first so I can walk in the dark and find them ! I actually forgot where I hung a tree stand 8 years ago and when I found it the tree grew around it enough that I had a heck of a time getting it OUT, then down ! It is not being used ( twigs and 3 pebbles not moved ) and there are a couple things that are peculiar that I won’t go into.

If someone put it there and forgot it and can tell me 3 very distinct things about it I can give you the GPS coordinates or if you are unable to get it I will retrieve it for you next time I am in the area ! ( you can DM me)

Its in a great spot for hunting bears so whoever put it there did there homework! 

Good Luck and Be safe out there!

8BABA6A2-BD63-4066-B2B7-769619D50522.jpeg

D0FBBE1D-8830-4A5A-ADBB-21456B41196E.jpeg

B350A6EC-E017-4333-8848-F28482BFAD69.jpeg

EB0E52FE-216F-4806-90B5-3CAA8C509CBB.jpeg

FBEB0071-90D8-4DF0-A0EE-7908E4C35921.jpeg

AB074B98-8258-4661-A451-6BE60B498812.jpeg

C9DC7E10-8862-405D-9F5B-FBE377EBDCCD.jpeg

36B3C00A-FE3C-4D63-BA12-46C6EEEFE833.jpeg

DE8A0A7B-C902-407A-BF79-C5FB74FA04C7.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Nice looking buck and pics.  Lot of people leave cameras out for months, some won't check them until they go back to hunt it.   You can always put a stick on it or lean one against it to see if it gets moved.

Yes, I wrote that in my original thing up top, “ I know it’s not being used twigs and 3 pebbles not moved”. 

Anyway I was shocked at how much my buddy told me the camera cost and there are a couple of things with this camera that just don’t seem right, ESPECIALLY for what it cost. 

Like I said there are some areas that you could put a tree stand or camera in the winter when there is snow on the ground then go back in the summer all green and fresh growth and it looks like 2 different worlds. Also in some areas there are lots of shelves between the top and bottom of the mountain and they all look the same. Like I said it is minimum one hour walk from anyplace you could park a car and I did 360 no cat eyes anywhere going to it or leaving, you COULDNT walk to this spot in the morning in the dark  or get back to your car from here without cat eyes even with GPS you would be crashing thru Mountain Laurel or getting close to a couple cliffs with extreme Exposure, I leave my house in the morning in the dark and walk one hour and I know the area but still have cat eyes to get me in ( quietly ) and on other side of tree to get me out, then if it’s RAINING EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME!

-Trail camera in tree

-buck track in creek bed down from spring 

- porcupine I saw sleeping in tree while hiking

Good Luck!

AE3FEB95-7A2D-4961-AA5E-DDA05EAE1C51.jpeg

0D56B90B-4572-4A27-BF00-8371217CDAE3.jpeg

3CFF59F0-6F01-4025-A795-8FE43D0BD726.jpeg

19 hours ago, LPJR said:

That 8 looks like a mountain tank.

Kudos 1190 for giving info on here for someone to retrieve their Reconyx cam :up::up: 

when my friend Ralph call me up we had a lapse in a few years where we hunted with different friends when we finally hooked up together again it was on a Wildlife Management Area how to walk towards he pointed out to me a double ladder stand that looked abandoned who would do that?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

27 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

when my friend Ralph call me up we had a lapse in a few years where we hunted with different friends when we finally hooked up together again it was on a Wildlife Management Area how to walk towards he pointed out to me a double ladder stand that looked abandoned who would do that?

I think some people stop hunting or move and just leave them in the woods