IGNORED

Recommendations needed for bow hunting clothes and Boots???

Big Blue

Ive bow hunting for 30 years... Still looking for the perfect set of boots and clothing..... I have all the scent Lok crap doesn't keep you warm enough....Sitka worth the money??? Any other brands or recommendations would be appreciated..... On those Cold November days for all day sits 🦌🦌🦌🦌

I use Walls but Sitka stuff if you can afford it is worth it.

Nomad second.

Layering is the best thing.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Sitka prices are way out there and I can not justify it.? Also their clothing is not loosely fitting, the way I like it, so this is not for me. Look into Cabela’s Wooltimate jackets. I have  their light hooded jacket I can use to mid 20s. Then if it gets colder the parka will give you protection to any weather nj can sling at you. The wind blocking capability of wooltimate is 2nd to none. I don’t use their pants for NJ, they are to heavy. I have Cabela’s whitetail extreme bibs and they are great. Soft, not bulky and yet very warm. Im never cold hunting in NJ, if you are you are using wrong gear 

11 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

I use Walls but Sitka stuff if you can afford it is worth it.

Nomad second.

Layering is the best thing.

Layering works but to sit for several hrs in cold environment you have to have too many layers to be comfortable. When it gets cold, with my wooltimate parka I can sit in two layers, including the parka. You feel light and warm and definitely able to bowhunt. iMO:-)

I am a GIANT sitka gear fan....I think there is no better. I have found no other equal. I use the incinerator jacket/bib for gun hunting & the fanatic jacket/bib for bow. Fanatic is fleece and quieter for bow. I realize price is insane....worth it to me. Base layers are very important as well, I like MERINO icebreaker next to skin. Then I put ulfrotte sweater on top. Boots....I like any rubber boot w full foot warmer  or cabelas predator extreme pac boot. Here are links:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Predator-Extreme-Pac-Boots-Brown/722130.uts

https://warmers.com/products/grabber-medium-large-insole-foot-warmers

https://alexoutdoors.com/collections/woolpower-thermals-socks-caps-balaclavas-union-suit

https://www.icebreaker.com/en-us/mens-baselayers/260-tech-leggings-with-fly/104374.html?dwvar_104374_color=001

https://www.sitkagear.com/activity/whitetail

Last year I tried the Sitka Incinerator Jacket and bibs.  I went with this set-up mostly because it's 100% waterproof and warm were as the Sitka Fanatic I know is warm, but only water resistant.  Well the Incinerator may be waterproof, but warm my ass!  I froze in it and it could never be used for bow hunting cause it's noisy as hell.  It went back.  I did look hard at the NOMAD stuff, but it didn't impress me and the Sitka stuff is very well thought out as far as the pockets, etc.  

The Fanatic is definitely warm in all cold weather and wind, but not sure how dry it'll keep ya in a heavy downpour.  My wife even wears it and it keeps her warm and she's cold in 95 degrees.  

The Wooltimate jacket is great also, but they discontinued the bibs I believe which pissed me off to no end.

My warmest pair of boots is a pair of lace-up Danners, not sure of model, but I love them.  Also have a pair of 1200gr. Irish Setters that get me through most colder days, but had issues with the rubber ripping so I wouldn't go that route.  Only still using them cause they replaced for free.

Good luck

Edited by B B

Cabelas wooltimate is very warm stuff, no need to wear tons of layers under it.

I wear a fleece wind sheer long john, a light fleece wind sheer vest, and wooltimate parka and can sit all day in comfort.

I still am a fan of Muck Artic pros. worn with a medium weight sock they get me through on the coldest days. If its super cold I wear a set of boot blankets on top of them,

If you find your getting cold easily it could be your losing circulation.

Put a hand warmer in a vest pocket over your heart, to keep circulation up.

another placed on the back of your neck will have you opening your jacket  .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I'm also on the market for some new late season clothing. I took the trip out to Cabela's and tried on the fanatic bibs and jacket and I was instantly sweating in the store but they fit nicely and we're very well designed for bowhunting. I'm going to be picking myself up a set in the next few months. You should definitely check them out.

I get cold easily. I wear Sitka fanatic set up and after sitting all night for fox and coyotes  with temps in the teens, it’s worth double the price to me. I have since sold all my other hunting clothes and bought all Sitka stuff and couldn’t be happier. I was a little worried about the fit but after trying it, you find out why it fits like it does. Very comfortable and very, very warm. Very well made. Worth the money to me and I’m far from a rich guy. Extremely impressed. 

Clothing - Raven Wear, even though they retired their operation in 2016. Still available if you look hard and ask around. Read the reviews and that will tell you all you need to know concerning all day cold weather sits.

Boots- Cabela's Saskatchewan Hunter Pac boots. Nothing warmer available to my knowledge.

Edited by tpr1921
added info

I suggest that you pay ,most attention to the two opposite ends of your body, head and feet.

A good hard hat cap liner can keep a good deal of your heat from escaping out the top.  In truly frigid weather I have been comfortable with a knit facemask stocking cap over a cap liner. 

As far as feet are concerned, in truly frigid conditions, UI suggest you consider taking two pair of boots into the woods...one to walk in and another, more heavily insulated, to change into and sit after you have cooled down from your walk in.  Sweat will chill you to the bone, real quick.   I liked to have a pair of thin nylon dress socks to put on as a base layer over good wool socks.  If your manhood is secure, you should consider using kneehigh womens stockings as they really trap air and keep you warm as a base layer for your feet and lower legs.  They work better than dress socks.

I also suggest that you carry something to stand on which will raise your feet off the ground and insulate them from the cold.  I used a pad that was designed for gardeners to kneel on that was about 3/4" thick flexible foam.   An air cushion for your butt will also keep a significant part of your body out of direct contact with the cold if you are sitting on  stand.

All of this is kinda old school...but it worked for me.  I suspect that, in combination with some of today's miracle fabrics, these strategies should work even better.

RayG

Edited by birddogger