Bucndoe

Bald Faced Hornets

Two weeks ago I was at the hunting place cutting trails with brush mower and noticed a big nest in the tree about 40 yards from the building. It's about the size of a 5 gallon sparkle bucket, awesome looking structure of nature. Was made this spring/summer. I was there two days and they didn't bother me and I didn't bother them. Was up there the past three days and again we coexisted nicely. My father went to grab a chair and move it from near the fire and one was on the chair that he didn't see and gave him a love tap on the hand. I was debating on exterminating it but they do control insects and they die off with the surviving queens moving on around November abandoning the nest. I am leaning hard towards leaving it be. Any input from those that have dealt with them is what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance. 

They can be mean SOB when disturbed but are not that bad is you don't have to go near the nest. I got nailed 9 times in the head and face them a couple years ago while working in my bucket truck. Never saw the nest till it was to late :eek:.  Leave them for now and get the nest after the cold weather sets in. Wait for a good cold night and slip a garbage bag over the nest and put a tie wrap on it, then cut the branch off.  Stick in a freezer for a week to make sure any inside are dead. Cool decorations

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buck154 said:

They can be mean SOB when disturbed but are not that bad is you don't have to go near the nest. I got nailed 9 times in the head and face them a couple years ago while working in my bucket truck. Never saw the nest till it was to late :eek:.  Leave them for now and get the nest after the cold weather sets in. Wait for a good cold night and slip a garbage bag over the nest and put a tie wrap on it, then cut the branch off.  Stick in a freezer for a week to make sure any inside are dead. Cool decorations

I parked a trailer under the tree where the nest is and had zero issues. Nest is about 30 feet up. So I think we can coexist peacefully. That's about as close as I'm going.

• Like 1

One day I was trimming my hedges and got stung on the temple by one those :censored:, very painful didn't know what hit me!

I've got a large hornet nest over the driveway, 15 yards from the house.  We all peacefully coexist.  

Very aggressive.... However if left undisturbed they will not bother you.... If you get too close and piss one off you will be sorry..... High up in the tree where no one can get injured I leave them alone.... Anywhere near the house where a kid or someone could accidentally bump into the nest I take action.....good luck🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

2 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

Two weeks ago I was at the hunting place cutting trails with brush mower and noticed a big nest in the tree about 40 yards from the building. It's about the size of a 5 gallon sparkle bucket, awesome looking structure of nature. Was made this spring/summer. I was there two days and they didn't bother me and I didn't bother them. Was up there the past three days and again we coexisted nicely. My father went to grab a chair and move it from near the fire and one was on the chair that he didn't see and gave him a love tap on the hand. I was debating on exterminating it but they do control insects and they die off with the surviving queens moving on around November abandoning the nest. I am leaning hard towards leaving it be. Any input from those that have dealt with them is what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance. 

One low brass target load shredded a nest the size of a soccer ball on my property easily.  For a nest the size of a 5 gallon bucket I would say three quick blasts (#9 shot if you can get it) from a semi-auto.  Make sure that you have a clear path with no tripping hazards to nearby shelter (vehicle, building, etc...).  They will try to rebuild but if you hit the nest at dusk and then return early morning you can wipe out what is left of them with spray.