Bully

Looking for Arrow Recommendations

I know, I know... 
Beat to death topic BUT one that is currently relevant to me. 

I am purchasing my first longbow from Charles at Two Tracks. It will be:
Ogemaw
56"
125gn field points and broadheads
I draw around 27"

Purposes will be stress release/plinking in the yard and a late season hunt or two where I may or may not take a shot. It will all depend on my early season exploits. 

From my reading I am looking at a 500 spine carbon or a 1916 aluminum shaft. I think those numbers are right but I'm more than happy to be told otherwise if that's necessary. I'm also happy to add brass inserts to get myself up to 450-500 grain total arrow weight. 

I'm not too keen on wood as they require a bit more care than I care to take. 

Hoping that the sages of the board will weigh in and help me out.

I would recommend gold tip traditional shafts with brass inserts .

Cut them up to 2" longer than your normal draw length and bare shaft cutting if necessary to correct the spine.

45# you should be able to shoot 500 spine.

They are pretty durable and allow better fine tuning .

1916 have always been a bastard size aluminum also.

Many times tough to find true to size components 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I would recommend gold tip traditional shafts with brass inserts .

Cut them up to 2" longer than your normal draw length and bare shaft cutting if necessary to correct the spine.

45# you should be able to shoot 500 spine.

They are pretty durable and allow better fine tuning .

Thank you. 

Ill  hit up a local to me shop and see what they have floating around. If nothing catches my eye I’ll resort to the web. 

There's Nothing like the smell of a broken Cedar shaft!:cryingcry:

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with bow, if it's close to or is centershot the more you can go by spine table recommendations, if not you'll need a shaft that will flex more during archers paradox, lighter spine in other words. Wood usually break right behind the point, sharpen it back up and hot melt another point on. As the shaft gets shorter you can go to 145 gr. head and still get decent arrow flight.

If you go with carbons, I went with Goldtip, pick a brand and stick with it because all the components are interchangeable through all spines, inside diameter stays the same

21 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Just wondering what you mean by this?  I'm not all that familiar with the whole arrow thing.  

16 minutes ago, Bully said:

Just wondering what you mean by this?  I'm not all that familiar with the whole arrow thing.  

Personally,traditional bow,traditional cedar shafts.If you don't know arrows you definitely need to go to a shop.Dan meant aluminum arrow.2013 better choice.

https://www.google.com

11 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Personally,traditional bow,traditional cedar shafts.If you don't know arrows you definitely need to go to a shop.Dan meant aluminum arrow.2013 better choice.

https://www.google.com

Pass on the cedar.

I understand he meant an aluminum arrow.  I'm just wondering what he meant call it a "bastard size".  That's all.  

10 minutes ago, Bully said:

Pass on the cedar.

I understand he meant an aluminum arrow.  I'm just wondering what he meant call it a "bastard size".  That's all.  

1916 is a 19/64" arrow with a 16 thousands  wall .

It wasn't a commonly used arrow . In that size shaft both 13 and 14 thousands  walls were what was commonly used .

16 thousands walls really didn't get used as much until you hit a 20/64" shaft sizes .

Due to the way arrows flex the thick wall on a thin shaft was harder to tune .

A few guys shooting target archery shot them .hoping the heavier walls would hold up better to the constant right groups shot .

Instead Easton made the more durable X7 shafts (stronger alloy) in a 1914 shaft that was the most commonly used .

6 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

1916 is a 19/64" arrow with a 16 thousands  wall .

It wasn't a commonly used arrow . In that size shaft both 13 and 14 thousands  walls were what was commonly used .

16 thousands walls really didn't get used as much until you hit a 20/64" shaft sizes .

Due to the way arrows flex the thick wall on a thin shaft was harder to tune .

A few guys shooting target archery shot them .hoping the heavier walls would hold up better to the constant right groups shot .

Instead Easton made the more durable X7 shafts (stronger alloy) in a 1914 shaft that was the most commonly used .

Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you go aluminum go with a full metal jacket shaft. I would go with carbon,more durable. Start with a long bare shaft and the point weight that you will use,cutting an inch off each time you shoot it until you get the bare shaft to stick in the target straight. That would be the arrow for your bow.

Edited by toxo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, toxo said:

If you go aluminum go with a full metal jacket shaft. I would go with carbon,more durable. Start with a long bare shaft and the point weight that you will use,cutting an inch off each time you shoot it until you get the bare shaft to stick in the target straight. That would be the arrow for your bow.

Thank you for that.  Much appreciated.  

I would love to find a carbon that is 500ish.  Something that can easily build a 450ish grain arrow.  And costs around $7 a piece.  Probably a bit of a unicorn.  

Edited by Bully

1 hour ago, Bully said:

Thank you for that.  Much appreciated.  

I would love to find a carbon that is 500ish.  Something that can easily build a 450ish grain arrow.  And costs around $7 a piece.  Probably a bit of a unicorn.  

Buy gold tip trad shafts , 100 grain brass inserts and fletch with feathers.

cut to 30” shafts would weigh 258

100 grain inserts, 125 head, 20 grains nock and feathers puts you right at 503.

if you buy blemished shafts can buy them for about half of what normal price is

• Like 1