IGNORED

Anyone here metal detect?

If you ever get into any old buildings checkout the fuse boxes, an old trick was to use a penny when you ran out of fuses. Also old fence lines where the $ was cached under the posts . Never had a fancy gizmo but used to "treasure hunt as a kid", had old city maps of places that were etc. Found quite a few old bottles and a glass desk ink well that I still have and only recently confirmed what it was due to a search on the comp. Good hunting and remember no metal detectors allowed in Sandy Hook.

There are rules about using a metal detector on state land.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_2.pdf

The rules and regulations for metal detecting can be found within our Administrative Code 7:2-2.16 Metal detectors - A person shall not use metal detectors or similar devices without a permit issued by the Officer-in-Charge.  The permit may limit the location, hours, and days of use.  Permits will not be issued for use in areas of significant historical or other value, or where such use would be incompatible with protection of hte resource and/or interfere with public use of the facilty.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

They don't allow them on Sandy Hook basically because of the un exploded ordinance still being washed up

Could be.. But i was think'n its more becuase they dont want a bunch of perverts disquised as treasure hunters hanging around the nudist beach ......

:D

Speculation is that they haven't released their names for fear the coins could be claimed by descendants of whoever put them in the ground

An unnamed couple in their 40s stumbled on the historic find on their property last spring

it's their property now isn't it ? I would think they own all contents.

You add camo to anything, it immediately becomes cool.

Oh wow, come on...how are they going to prove they were some allegedly stolen coins from over 100 years ago?

I would be fighting that until the bitter end

A lot of the coins didn't have "in God We Trust" inscribed on them and were never put into circulation. I would definitely have my lawyer look into the Statute of limitations for theft. I tried to look it up for a fast read,but they pretty much talk in circles.

It would just seem very unlikely they have any verifiable documentation to link the gold that was found with a theft from 100+ years ago.

They can speculate regarding possible links to previous crimes/thefts, but proving every one of those coins is bound to some specific crime/theft without a reasonable doubt seems like an impossibility.

Even if they did link ONE coin, that doesn't mean ALL coins were stolen.

That would be like saying a car is stolen and found in a parking lot, so all the cars in that parking lot are stolen.

The government is broke and wants all of your hope and change. 

Honestly, I've gotten more IRS letters this year about my taxes from previous years. Each letter says I did my taxes wrong and I owe them money. Every response from me is additional documentation telling them to shove it up their ass. The Feds have become penny-picking bastards more so now than in years past. 

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.