IGNORED

Looking to upgrade rangefinder. Thoughts needed....

LPJR

Looking to upgrade my trusty but old Wildgame Innovations Rangefinder this season. Have had this one for over 10+ years. One of the biggest things I am looking for is a rangefinder with A BACKLIT DISPLAY or illuminated reticles for low light conditions. It will be predominately used for bow, but can be will be used for the 220 as well......Not looking to break the bank, post up your recommendations on units that you have used and prefer please.....

Edited by LPJR

I just asked this question at the beginning of the summer. 

There seems to be commonalities between the top three.

Leopold - RX full draw

Nikon  - I don't remember which Nikon but i think they said there might have been trouble with fog

Vortex - ranger 1300

All with the TBR 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

The Sig Kilo 2000 is more rangefinder than you'll ever need.  I use it for the long range game and have lased targets over 1500ya.

As a bow hunter, that distance is way too much.  However, what it excels at is returning results.

The Sig returns results almost as fast as you can push the button.  I have had it return  multiple results in a second.  Great when you are trying to get a distance on a deer that is moving.  Again, more so for longer ranges.

Also, the display brightness adjusts to ambient light and it has the angle compensator.  

At $400 it does what the Leica's do, but at half the price.  Buy once...

Aside from the glass, one of the most important aspects for light transmission is the coatings, which is what gives the glass either the blue or purple color.  I think  Sig uses coatings optimized for low light conditions.

That said, I would give the Leica a slight edge on low light transmission.  However, would buy the Sig all day long.

There is also a Sig Kilo 1250 which if is anything like its big brother, could be a great deal.  A little less magnification, 6x compared to 7x, but more important the same size 20mm lens at $207.

Based on recommendations here years ago, I went with the Sig Sauer KILO 2000 7 x 25mm and love it.  No complaints at all.  Pricey but the last rangefinger I bought was 10-12 years earlier and it was maybe 1/3 of the price but not nearly the build quality.  I don't plan on buying another one after this one.  So if you look at it as an investment (similar to binoculars), it eases the pain...a little :)

I have the bushnell fusion 10x42 binoculars with the built in rangefinder. They are nice and clear and pull in ample light when needed. They are bulky but i like carrying only one item for both range finder and binoculars. I bought both pairs of mine on ebay. One for $400 bucks and the other for $125. Sure beats the $900 dollar price tag at cabelas

Edited by KBfishing