Jump to content
DBuck

Anyone seeing Lantern Flies?

Recommended Posts

I don't think I've seen any in NJ yet, but they are bad in PA. Was at a picnic yesterday in PA and we were killing them left and right. Another "gift" from China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one along the border of Hunterdon and Mercer County's.  Hopewell Township, I believe, while working on a jobsite last week.  I called the PO and was told that they are all over down that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LittleM said:

I saw one along the border of Hunterdon and Mercer County's.  Hopewell Township, I believe, while working on a jobsite last week.  I called the PO and was told that they are all over down that way.

That sucks, I was hoping they didn't make it over here yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My property in Pohatcong is infested. The SLF co op has been there, marked all the Ailanthis, but never got back for treatment... and it looks like the bugs have done their breeding and are in the process of egg-laying now... I saw ONE last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TDietz said:

My property in Pohatcong is infested. The SLF co op has been there, marked all the Ailanthis, but never got back for treatment... and it looks like the bugs have done their breeding and are in the process of egg-laying now... I saw ONE last year

Really Pohatcong? I'm White township and haven't seen one here yet, but they're probably here. I'm going to start looking for the egg sacs on trees, or whatever they're called.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im in Pa and this past month we have started to notice them. It started with 1 now we kill 2 a day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, started seeing them last year, they are swarming this time of year. Hoping they go the way of stinkbugs, they were a nuisance 20 years ago but have mostly disappeared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please stop killing them, Gov. Murphy is giving them Santuary. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TDietz said:

My property in Pohatcong is infested. The SLF co op has been there, marked all the Ailanthis, but never got back for treatment... and it looks like the bugs have done their breeding and are in the process of egg-laying now... I saw ONE last year

Never came back for treatment. What a surprise! They must be counting pheasant chicks. Busy guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DBuck said:

Really Pohatcong? I'm White township and haven't seen one here yet, but they're probably here. I'm going to start looking for the egg sacs on trees, or whatever they're called.

This is ailanthus, tree of heaven, looks a lot like sumac, smells a lot like dog shit. The blue paint on trunk is how they mark them. If you can zoom in pic you can see them all over it.

20190810_155611.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Batsto said:

Never came back for treatment. What a surprise! They must be counting pheasant chicks. Busy guys. 

Don't even get me started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...