IGNORED

Getting back in shape at 38

Swamp_Yankee

On 9/3/2019 at 3:09 PM, hunterbob1 said:

I grew up watching him on black and white Tv.Amazing,Godfather of fitness!!Where do you think Navy seals came into existence..https://www.google.com

I watch Richard Simmons fitness videos. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

On 9/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, JHbowhunter said:

actually trying something different.  "Interval Intermittent fasting".   No calories after 8pm, through 12pm next day.  16 hour fast basically.   Just black coffee in the morning - no food. 

Actually can have an adverse effect. No calories after 8 is great, after 6:30 would be better because you are still active for a few hours. You should have something with protein in the morning like eggs but with no carbs. If no protein is in your system by fasting from evening through the morning you will burn muscle instead of fat 

AWM

23 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Actually can have an adverse effect. No calories after 8 is great, after 6:30 would be better because you are still active for a few hours. You should have something with protein in the morning like eggs but with no carbs. If no protein is in your system by fasting from evening through the morning you will burn muscle instead of fat 

yeah it isn't working all that great. Lost maybe 2lbs, holding at 188 for past week.  I would like to get below 180 rest of my life and stay there.  170 is my "optimal" weight and still even a bit heavy on the BMI charts but I look ridiculously thin below 170 so anywhere between 170 and 179 is my ideal I think.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I went down to 165 a couple years ago people thought I was dying. But I was actually in the best shape of my life probably for running at least. I’m 185 now need to drop about 10 pounds to get my abs ripped again.

Edited by Nomad

For me , it just did boil down to … calories in, calories out. Other than eating four smaller meals a day, I don't do anything unusual … I eat a good amount of protein, along with healthy fats and carbs (including white potato). I lost weight and kept it off.

I keep reading that the folks with the longest longevity … are the ones in the world that naturally follow the "Mediterranean" diet … which has lots of good carbs, including grains.  Maybe it's the red wine ...

Edited by Jim_

The first thing I would concentrate on is getting your weight down. I definitely wouldn't do any running at this point for two reasons. 1. You haven't been working out or training much so you have likely lost some of your mobility and running could cause you issues like shin splints, pf, tendinitis, etc. 2. You are going to be pounding the pavement with a bunch of extra weight on your frame which is definitely not good for your joints/tendons even if you are going to forefoot strike. 

IMO, the most important component to being in good shape is your diet, hands down. Being in good shape is 80% (or more) diet. My suggestion would be to get some blood work done and make sure everything looks good, get your hormones checked, get a vap or nmr done for cholesterol, a stress test, and abdominal aorta ultrasound also. Take note of your resting heart rate before you start the process. If everything checks out get on a low carb/paleo diet. I can still eat rice and potatoes when I do low carb with no issues. Potatoes are great as they are one of the most satiating foods possible and if you heat/cool/heat/cool potatoes they build up resistant starches which are great for your gut. If nothing else, try your best to eliminate sugar, pasta, bread, while eating lots of veggies, greens, lean meats (venison is awesome in this respect).

Generally I think someone standing 5'9" should be < 175lbs. In all honesty I think most people [of average frame] at 5'9" should be under 170 because 5'9" @ 170 and target of < 14% is a good deal of muscle for someone who wants to be fit but not muscle bound. I know a lot of people will argue that the high side of BMI for 5'9" is ridiculous at 169 but in all honesty anyone who is carrying around more than that probably has some visceral fat that has built up over the years. 

If you want to do cardio while losing weight you can try something low impact like elliptical or kill two birds with one stone, use a sauna. Sauna is great for your overall health plus if you really jack up the heat you can get you should be able to double up your resting heart rate with no issues just sitting in the sauna. Steam room works too but not as good for you as the sauna.

The intermittent fasting is a great idea also, there are several benefits. For the best results you want to get to at least 18 hours of fasting. Studies range but the magic starts to happen 16+ hours. A process called Autophagy kicks off in your body which is basically the bodies way of killing off weak cells. Great for the immune system.

Also, if you get on a schedule where you stop eating mid afternoon and not until late morning the next day you are going to bed with an empty stomach. That is good, most people go to bed with food in their stomach and this affects the release of hormones, which has deleterious affects on sleep, digestion, and leads to storing more fat in the body.

Edited by newjerseyhunter

47 minutes ago, Rusty said:

:rofl::rofl:

I dropped down to the mid 170s and after the 3rd person asked if I had cancer I decided that 180 was a good weight for me.  

yes, and my wife thinks it's her job to keep some fat on me.  Always making cookies, pies, and getting annoyed if I try and reduce my portion size at dinner.

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

I went down to 165 a couple years ago people thought I was dying. But I was actually in the best shape of my life probably for running at least. I’m 185 now need to drop about 10 pounds to get my abs ripped again.

That's me to a T.  Too lean at 165...soft at 185 but great at 175. 

Many years ago I was lifting like a beast, downing protein shakes left and right and popping Andro pills (when they were legal) and I got up to 192 and was a beast.  Then I stopped lifting for a bit, stopped taking the supplements and started running a ton with my new GF (who eventually became Mrs. Rug) and I dipped under 160.  My friends all thought I had AIDS or Cancer.  

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

That's me to a T.  Too lean at 165...soft at 185 but great at 175. 

Many years ago I was lifting like a beast, downing protein shakes left and right and popping Andro pills (when they were legal) and I got up to 192 and was a beast.  Then I stopped lifting for a bit, stopped taking the supplements and started running a ton with my new GF (who eventually became Mrs. Rug) and I dipped under 160.  My friends all thought I had AIDS or Cancer.  

Yeah,I’m 56 now when I was in my 20s and 30s I was a lean 205. Cant maintain that anymore.

All I know for sure is this, I would have so much more time to exercise and better plan meals and I would be as fit and healthy as they come, if only I could give up the following:

1) Hunting

2) Fishing

3) Drinking

That only leaves one thing I enjoy :)

Oh if I could just give up work I could keep the first 3 !!!!  Not giving up the 4th until I wake on the wrong side of the grass. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

48 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

All I know for sure is this, I would have so much more time to exercise and better plan meals and I would be as fit and healthy as they come, if only I could give up the following:

For me working within walking distance of a gym was pretty life changing.  Before now the last time I saw the inside of a gym was when I was in college-nearly 20 years ago.  If I couldn't bang out a workout in 45 minutes and shower, change, and be back in my office in 10 minutes I probably would still be doing nothing.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

I’m 33 and currently weighing in at 225 lbs.  It was 6 years ago at 27 that I decided to make a change and loose weight. I stepped on the scale and it read 310 lbs. I stuck to an extremely strict 6 small meal a day diet with 1 (yes literally 1) cheat meal per week. I lost 100 lbs in 5 months. Once I hit 210 lbs a couple people had asked me if “everything’s okay” because I looked sick. I was working out with a trainer twice a week for 30 minutes each. The rest of the week I would workout on my own doing interval training and a minimum of 45 minutes on the treadmill walking at level 6 incline at 3.8 mph. I now do low weight high rep lifting for 30-40 minutes and 30-40 minutes of cardio on the treadmill or the stair master.  After 3 years of doing that I switched to intermittent fasting. I use MyFitnessPal to track all of my food. I eat dinner at 5:30-6pm and don’t eat anything again until 12pm the following day where I will have 8oz baked chicken and 2 cups of baked broccoli as well as a Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt. As many of you have seen in some of my venison posts I eat massive dinners and still continue to maintain my weight. Many people get caught up in the simple “calories in vs calories out”. However calories are broken down by macro nutrients  (1 g of fat = 9 calories,  protein and carbs =  4 calories per gram). If you don’t pay attention to what your taking in, this method can/will fail. Intermittent fasting isn’t for everyone but is a very good way to maintain and/or loose weight. Calories in vs calories out also works as long as you pay attention to the macro nutrients/calories that you consume. Each individual will need to find what works best for them. As long as you monitor it and continue to do some type of workout/cardio you will burn the calories in order to lose/maintain your weight.