Swamp_Yankee

Getting back in shape at 38

I'll be  58 this month and believe that weight resistance exercise is the  only  way to fight aging. Sorry for the sunglasses. My weight is at 205lbs.

7-6-2018 Age 56.jpeg

Edited by tpr1921
added info
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Stop eating grains...they're not food

actually trying something different.  "Interval Intermittent fasting".   No calories after 8pm, through 12pm next day.  16 hour fast basically.   Just black coffee in the morning - no food. 

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Stop eating grains...they're not food

Oatmeal no good?  Please explain.

8 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

actually trying something different.  "Interval fasting".   No calories after 8pm, through 12pm next day.  16 hour fast basically.   Just black coffee in the morning - no food. 

There ya go. "Intermittent Fasting" is fantastic.. I've dabbled with it off and on for about 10 years now. 

My latest scheme is daily 18 hour fasts, and staying as close to being in ketosis as possible.  I stop eating at 6pm each night and don't break the fast until Noon the next day.  I take in about 400-500 calories of protein/fat and maybe a little bit of carbs then, and then eat my main meal at dinner time, which is basically just protein, fat and green vegetables.   Just some freshly ground french pressed coffee in the morning and then I'm out the door.  

Edited by not on the rug
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Nomad said:

Oatmeal no good?  Please explain.

Oatmeal and white rice are the only two exceptions I'd say are actually OK. 

Grains really aren't foods though.  They're riddled with anti-nutrients and nasty things like lectins and phytates as well as loads of pesticides.  I usually tell folks to avoid grains at all cost and if they have to eat them, stick to the highest quality ones you can find. 

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago, and am 38 now myself(5'11" and 203).  Some background...at 34 I decided I was going to hunt elk solo in the Colorado Rockies and had a year and a half to get in shape.  That included running(3 miles 2 times/week, progressing to 5 miles 5 times/week in the last 2 weeks before the hunt...all hill running around my house, equivalent of 60 flights of stairs over the course of roughly 4 miles), workout videos that focused on core, cardio/endurance, weight training...an overall mix.  And then there were weighted hikes.

Here's what I learned from doing all that leading up to the hunt, and since then...I'm certainly no expert, but it's what my body was telling me it needed:

• Concentrate on core strengthening exercises(all types of plank movements, compound plank movements, etc)
  • Concentrate on compound movement balance training(think one legged dead lift, to row, to one legged squat with a light weight)...this and the above should get the most attention at the start and will serve as a foundation for minimizing injury doing anything else below...even if you don't think you need more of it, do it.  
  • I was never a runner, but...run on flat ground/track rather than hills(hills were GREAT for endurance, but the downhill pounding wreaked hell on my lower back)...I was averaging 8:20 hill minutes per mile over 5 miles, and was flat out running 5k's without ever huffing air through my mouth, but at the expense of my lower back and other joints...felt good in the moment, but not worth it in the long run
  • As hunting season approaches, focus on weighted hikes with average weight for endurance/strength training of your major leg muscle group...your legs will thank you when hauling gear in to hunt, or hauling a deer out 
  • A balanced weight training for all muscle groups...circuit weight training was a good option for me as it meant relatively quick workouts(40 minutes rather than an hour+), and still offered results
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

actually trying something different.  "Interval fasting".   No calories after 8pm, through 12pm next day.  16 hour fast basically.   Just black coffee in the morning - no food. 

fasting is a fast growing lifestyle for weight loss and healing . started doing this myself eating a keto/ carnivore diet almost no carb high fat diet not counting calories, I found myself only eating once a day . if not for the recent trip to Disney I probably would have gotten further but now I am back at it. FYI I was losing 1-3 pounds a day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, buckhound said:

the standard American diet is the worst thing for your health you can do...

Probably correct. But I've been loving wack his horns off wipe his snoty nose and Slap at it on the plate!!

3 hours ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Starting week three and so far so good.  Before joining the gym I had never been on a treadmill in my life.  Any running I did was outside-in any event I've settled into a routine of running a mile and a half and stepping up the pace as I go.  Today I started at 4.5 MPH and then got up to 6.5 MPH for the last 1/4 mile, heart rate of about 160.  After I cool down and stretch I'll hit the free weights/machines.  Even though it's really only been two weeks I noticed a big difference when working outside on the firepit project this weekend, gathering and lifting stones, etc...  I "feel" stronger, which is probably mostly in my head, but I'll take it.  More importantly though, I don't feel as wiped out at the end of the day or sore/beat the next day.  The real test will be this fall when I drag my first buck out of my swamp to my truck-150 yards and mostly up hill :super:

Great job! Great to read! Congrats

I finally woke the hell up, and started doing what you're doing now when I was much older than you. I really feel that it has saved my life in many ways. 

18 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Probably correct. But I've been loving wack his horns off wipe his snoty nose and Slap at it on the plate!!

nothing wrong with eating fresh meat.  :up: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Heading into week six now and sticking with the routine of a 1.5 mile/20 minute run followed by about 30 minutes of low weight/high rep weight training.  I don't really follow a "program," I really just decide what muscle group I'm going to concentrate on that day and find either machines or freeweight movements that will work them.  One unexpected benefit is that I am losing weight without really changing what I eat at all.  I started at 205 and as of this morning am down to 194.5.  That said, IMO my diet isn't all that bad.  I don't drink anything with sugar or carbs in it besides beer, but I easily go through a 12 pack a week and have no plans to change that.  I drink beer because I genuinely like beer.  In terms of what I eat the rest of the day I just try to keep everything in moderation in terms of meat, fish, veggies, and whole grains.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

I don't really follow a "program," I really just decide what muscle group I'm going to concentrate on that day and find either machines or freeweight movements that will work them.  

Great job SY, keep it up.

The important thing is that you stay active,  the actual program that you do is really not that important.