IGNORED

Getting back in shape at 38

Swamp_Yankee

28 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Why don't you go back to playing hockey. I did it at your age for the same reasons. 

Time.  Even though I work close to home I work a lot of hours (night meetings etc...) and still do a lot of work at home plus projects and maintenance on the house.  Then there's making time for the kids.  I think what I'm also going to do when I get into the swing of things a little more is run either at night or early morning on our road which is a 1/2 mile of gravel with plenty of elevation change.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Just now, Swamp_Yankee said:

Time.  Even though I work close to home I work a lot of hours (night meetings etc...) and still do a lot of work at home plus projects and maintenance on the house.  Then there's making time for the kids.  I think what I'm also going to do when I get into the swing of things a little more is run either at night or early morning on our road which is a 1/2 mile of gravel with plenty of elevation change.  

Not sure how old the kids are but they will love running with you.  My son was running 5ks with me at age 6.

3 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

This was never a problem since we never played before 9PM. Its all late at nigh and therefore it never gets in the way. 

10 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

This was never a problem since we never played before 9PM. Its all late at nigh and therefore it never gets in the way. 

When I was in college I worked as a Zamboni Driver and used to do the ice for the beer league guys.  Sometimes their games didn't START until 11:00 p.m.-I'm up at 5:00 to get the kids dropped off by 7:00 and into work by 7:30 so playing until 12:30 and then not getting home (nearest rink is at least a half hour away) until 1:30 ain't gonna work.  

15 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Only way I seem to be able to consistently lose weight is to fast/starve myself for a few days n drink lots of water....or at least low carb it. Takes some will power....but I can drop 5 lbs in a half wk by fasting. 

When it comes to dropping body fat / weight, diet plays a much bigger role than exercise.  

1st day down.  1.5 miles/18 minutes on the treadmill and 3 sets of 20 shoulder rows with a 30lb barbell.  I don't feel wiped out but I do feel like I did "something."  

10 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

1st day down.  1.5 miles/18 minutes on the treadmill and 3 sets of 20 shoulder rows with a 30lb barbell.  I don't feel wiped out but I do feel like I did "something."  

You’ll feel it in 2 days.

focus on diet and weight training.

muscle burns fat. Grow the muscle burn more fat.

if you’re heart rate is to high during cardio you’ll be burning more muscle than fat.

6 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Same boat Swamp....46 and need to do something bout my shape!

"pear is a shape"....   Just saying..          Good luck to all of those trying to lose a little (or a lot), and improving your fitness.

55 years young here...  5'-9 and 189 lbs...  I have lost about 7 lbs this year, but ideally I would like to be 175-180...   However - I feel great most days.    I guess I have the traditional "beer belly" fat which is "visceral fat", very firm, non-jiggly.    Solid as a rock in fact.   However - visceral fat is the deadliest kind for heart attacks, and also the hardest to get rid of.   The belly area is the only spot that this evil visceral fat has clinged to. It's just woven it's way in there over time.    I can walk for miles and climb stairs or trees without breaking a sweat or getting out of breath.   I get my physical once a year and my cholesterol was creeping up as were my triglycerides and both got to the "just above normal" range.  My Doc gave me 6 months to turn it around and losing the 7 lbs seems to have worked as my ranges are now way down well within the normal ranges.

I do pushups, dips, pull downs and core exercises 3 days a week.    I need to cut down on the vodka martini's and snacking after work.   I eat healthy lean meals but the after work snacking / grazing is the worst.  Hardly drink beer at all anymore, but do love it on fishing trips.

I absolutely hate cardio other than walking.    Get bored to tears with any cardio machines or treadmills. Jogging - no thanks.   I should fix my old Trek hybrid up and get back into cycling the railroad beds.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 hours ago, Rusty said:

When it comes to dropping body fat / weight, diet plays a much bigger role than exercise.  

Thats a a fact, cut out big carbs like potatoes and bread, eliminate sugars and focus on high protein and in one month you’ll see a huge difference. Btw blueberries and green tea are great fat burners

AWM

24 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I absolutely hate cardio other than walking.    Get bored to tears with any cardio machines or treadmills. Jogging - no thanks.   

I hear that, i do the treadmill weekly and hate it. If the wife would give me sex more than twice a week I wouldn’t even need the treadmill LOL

AWM

5 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Thats a a fact, cut out big carbs like potatoes and bread, eliminate sugars and focus on high protein and in one month you’ll see a huge difference. Btw blueberries and green tea are great fat burners

I eat a cup of blueberries with my grains for breakfast 5 days a week.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….