Adult Deer Contest Buck Scoring (ROUND 2)

Buck Scoring  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which Buck Scoring Option Do You Prefer

• Number of points + width grouping score (same as last year: A, B, C)
    • Number of points + width grouping score (additional groupings: A, B, C, D, E...)
    • Number of points + actual width measurement
    • Number of points + actual width measurement + longest tine on left beam + longest tine on right beam
    • No Team Contest, No measurements, Only have an end of deer hunting season topic with all bucks entered and members vote for top 3 winners

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

bump, I'll probably let this run for a couple days and then go with the majority.

hope it goes off this year - surprised nobody wanted to just measure the rack the right way...  I would be all for just keeping it simple I suppose... Spread plus points...  It's  a built in bias toward long ass tined narrow bucks and bucks with a lot of mass, but nobody cares so let it go...    I just did not understand why there was a cut-off after 17" in the original scoring?

I think keep it the way it was but change the spread part to give a point for every inch they are wide (inside Spread).  This way a 16.5" buck and a 24" wide don't get the same credit.

The one problem with the longest beam and longest tine is that there is no way to show a picture to prove the actual length of a beam and some guys will have a tendency to stretch it a little. The tine length can be seen in a picture with a tape but not the beam. So if you have where those measurements are needed then just make it where the rack should be brought out to a Woods and Water get together and measured.

Keep the teams as some guys/gals might not have the best land to hunt so a combined with random picked teams is good for all. Luck of the draw.

Leading the way:  Number of points + actual width measurement + longest tine on left beam + longest tine on right beam

Agree on the error measuring lengths can introduce, but hopefully everyone does it honestly and the additional measurements should give enough variance to scores where we don't see any significance in the impact of errors.  Stretching it should be 1/2" +/- per measurement, not 2-3" per measurement.

The reality is, it's not like everyone is entering 20 bucks a season...in all likelihood many would be fortunate to get 1 or maybe even 2.  Over the course of hunting for months, taking a few minutes (even with cold hands @Lunatic :rofl: ) shouldn't be a big deterrent.  

34 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Leading the way:  Number of points + actual width measurement + longest tine on left beam + longest tine on right beam

Agree on the error measuring lengths can introduce, but hopefully everyone does it honestly and the additional measurements should give enough variance to scores where we don't see any significance in the impact of errors.  Stretching it should be 1/2" +/- per measurement, not 2-3" per measurement.

The reality is, it's not like everyone is entering 20 bucks a season...in all likelihood many would be fortunate to get 1 or maybe even 2.  Over the course of hunting for months, taking a few minutes (even with cold hands @Lunatic :rofl: ) shouldn't be a big deterrent.  

I appreciate the concern for my delicate hands:up: and I agree on the rest :up:

Just now, Lphunsjr said:

I'm still lost

Right now the leading option for Buck Scoring is:  Number of points + actual width measurement + longest tine on left beam + longest tine on right beam

Count the points and add those three measurements :up:

Example:  8 pointer with 20" inside spread, 11" right G2 and 9" left G3 = 8 + 20 + 11 + 9 = 48 points