IGNORED

Fishing resort recommendation

rossbowhunter

The wife and I are celebrating our anniversary next  year with a resort dtyle fishing trip, maybe 10 days. Now i need your vast travel experience and let me know which place will fit the bill. No Alaska, we are both warm climate folks, so anything with sun, some beach and yes fishing should be awesome. Thank you 

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

• BowhunterNJ changed the title to Fishing resort recommendation

Paul - HIGHLY recommend East Cape of Baja. 

Check out all the Van Wormer resorts. 

https://vanwormerresorts.com/

Fishing here is very good at a fraction of the price of the Central American lodges.  

My son and I stayed in Play Del Sol July 2011 - lowest budget but same fishing boat access.  Same view.  Just cheaper, but very clean and included breakfast and dinner.   The resort next door, Palmas De Cortez was very very nice.   That would be ideal for a little more upscale.   The sea is very warm and very blue (deep blue) and beautiful, with so many mountains all around. 

Unless it's changed, the fishing was extremely reasonable, whether you would be happy in a 22' Panga or 36' flybridge.   They pack a lunch for you. 

Hard to beat the variety - Huge Roosterfish, lots of Mahi, we got our first marlin (striped), African Pompano, and some nice variety of grouper and snapper (pargo).     Tuna can be excellent there - we opted not to run as far as they were that time but often they are very close.   It's 500' of water half a mile off beach. Also saw some huge Pacific Sails but no takers that trip. 

Days you don't fish - the beach is nice and barely used, really nice pools, and you can also rent quads and drive for miles on the beach. 

Thanks for making me take a great trip down memory lane!  As MGHunter said - they grow up too fast - and he just graduated Rutger's.   Going back here was a top-3 option for us and his graduation "trip" but we are trying something extremely different and going to Grenada in march.   But  - I will go back here someday for sure.      Hard to beat the fishing and scenery    

Oh and that Tiki bar, you get off the boat, walk over - a ice cold Pacifico beer is like $2 USD... And the bartender made fresh ceviche right in front of us.  I just would give him a fresh trigger fish or two, or mahi and it was the best damn ceviche I will ever have. 

Our captain - very young Pedro Damien Sandez Cosio - was a rising start in that fleet, but probably the most junior.   He is now the head Captain at Hotel Palmas de Cortez   

Look him up on FB - I am still friends with him and see what he is pulling in - lots of billfish, mahi and some giant tuna very often!

I CAN"T BELIEVE THIS WAS 8 YEARS AGO ALREADY!!!  It was only 4 years after his mom passed - man I took that kid on some epic fishing vacations.   As I said  - we got one more in us - Grenada, but I will get back to East Cape someday. 

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I'm with JH, the East Cape of the Baja Peninsula is awesome. Great location and great prices.  Many great beach clubs to choose from and boats for most is right on sight.  I was there some years ago and my Kids got so tired of catching Dorado and Tuna one day we came back early. 

Edited by archer36

22 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Fishing here is very good at a fraction of the price of the Central American lodges.  

My son and I stayed in Play Del Sol July 2011 - lowest budget but same fishing boat access.  Same view.  Just cheaper, but very clean and included breakfast and dinner.   The resort next door, Palmas De Cortez was very very nice.   That would be ideal for a little more upscale.   The sea is very warm and very blue (deep blue) and beautiful, with so many mountains all around. 

Unless it's changed, the fishing was extremely reasonable, whether you would be happy in a 22' Panga or 36' flybridge.   They pack a lunch for you. 

Hard to beat the variety - Huge Roosterfish, lots of Mahi, we got our first marlin (striped), African Pompano, and some nice variety of grouper and snapper (pargo).     Tuna can be excellent there - we opted not to run as far as they were that time but often they are very close.   It's 500' of water half a mile off beach. Also saw some huge Pacific Sails but no takers that trip. 

Days you don't fish - the beach is nice and barely used, really nice pools, and you can also rent quads and drive for miles on the beach. 

Thanks for making me take a great trip down memory lane!  As MGHunter said - they grow up too fast - and he just graduated Rutger's.   Going back here was a top-3 option for us and his graduation "trip" but we are trying something extremely different and going to Grenada in march.   But  - I will go back here someday for sure.      Hard to beat the fishing and scenery    

Oh and that Tiki bar, you get off the boat, walk over - a ice cold Pacifico beer is like $2 USD... And the bartender made fresh ceviche right in front of us.  I just would give him a fresh trigger fish or two, or mahi and it was the best damn ceviche I will ever have. 

Our captain - very young Pedro Damien Sandez Cosio - was a rising start in that fleet, but probably the most junior.   He is now the head Captain at Hotel Palmas de Cortez   

Look him up on FB - I am still friends with him and see what he is pulling in - lots of billfish, mahi and some giant tuna very often!

I CAN"T BELIEVE THIS WAS 8 YEARS AGO ALREADY!!!  It was only 4 years after his mom passed - man I took that kid on some epic fishing vacations.   As I said  - we got one more in us - Grenada, but I will get back to East Cape someday. 

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

That looks like a awesome trip. Jack do you remember what kind of grouper that was?

24 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Golden Cabrilla

"Cabrilla grouper, also known as leopard grouper, is characterized by small reddish brown spots over a silver-gray background, resulting in its leopard-like appearance. A few (about 1 percent) of these groupers metamorphose into a golden phase, which are then referred to as golden grouper or golden cabrilla."

Cool looking grouper and neat you guys got the golden phase

Edited by Buck154

27 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

"Cabrilla grouper, also known as leopard grouper, is characterized by small reddish brown spots over a silver-gray background, resulting in its leopard-like appearance. A few (about 1 percent) of these groupers metamorphose into a golden phase, which are then referred to as golden grouper or golden cabrilla."

Cool looking grouper and neat you guys got the golden phase

it ate a live mackerel, fished with about 10 ounces of lead, over a rocky hump.  Would have liked to do more of that for sure.   I gave that grouper to the chef, and he cooked it for us and also fed 6 others we met from NJ. Delicious. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

21 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Golden Cabrilla

Thank you so much Jack, that was an awesome write up, will be looking that way for sure!

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

On 8/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, JHbowhunter said:

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Jack,,,,,this looks and sounds amazing

I have a timeshare in Cabo, if you are looking into going to Cabo I can hook you up with my fishing guide.  Many "guides" down there are just people marking up the price and selling you a trip.  The lady I work with owns the boats and her prices are very fair and they work their ass off to put you on fish

Here is one thread

IMG_1152.jpg

Edited by tjfslaughter

20 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

I have a timeshare in Cabo, if you are looking into going to Cabo I can hook you up with my fishing guide.  Many "guides" down there are just people marking up the price and selling you a trip.  The lady I work with owns the boats and her prices are very fair and they work their ass off to put you on fish

Here is one thread

IMG_1152.jpg

Could you send me the info? We have a timeshare and go down every other year but we have not had the best of luck when picking boats to go out on. Thanks