IGNORED

Fairlawn Buck (Bergen County)

BHC

High Mountain in North Haledon; Wayne; & Franklin Lakes is loaded with deer, but they all have no hunting  ordinances. I have been hiking there recently it's loaded with deer sign. I used to hunt there when I was a kid.

Back in the day it was much bigger, but the area known as "Pancake Holler" has been flooded with a reservoir and developed with upscale houses. Wm Paterson College has expanded the campus over the south east portion of the tract including the spot I shot my first deer back in the 60's

It's still a fairly large tract of land with well groomed hiking trails. The hike from the college to the top of High Mountain  is about 3-4 miles round trip with panoramic views of the Passaic Valley from the mountain top. The last time I did that trip I jumped a doe.

There is also a waterfall there we used to call Buttermilk Falls. When the water table is high enough it drops water about 50-75 feet. There are no trails going to it anymore, but it is about 50 yards off the access road that is the North Haledon entrance to the campus. If water is flowing in the winter with no leaves it can be seen from the access road if you look hard.

3 hours ago, 230jhp said:

High Mountain in North Haledon; Wayne; & Franklin Lakes is loaded with deer, but they all have no hunting  ordinances. I have been hiking there recently it's loaded with deer sign. I used to hunt there when I was a kid.

Back in the day it was much bigger, but the area known as "Pancake Holler" has been flooded with a reservoir and developed with upscale houses. Wm Paterson College has expanded the campus over the south east portion of the tract including the spot I shot my first deer back in the 60's

It's still a fairly large tract of land with well groomed hiking trails. The hike from the college to the top of High Mountain  is about 3-4 miles round trip with panoramic views of the Passaic Valley from the mountain top. The last time I did that trip I jumped a doe.

There is also a waterfall there we used to call Buttermilk Falls. When the water table is high enough it drops water about 50-75 feet. There are no trails going to it anymore, but it is about 50 yards off the access road that is the North Haledon entrance to the campus. If water is flowing in the winter with no leaves it can be seen from the access road if you look hard.

What kind of land?   They can say no hunting on twp and county lands but for private or state owned land a no hunting ordinance is un lawful