ChrisS

Greetings from Freehold

Hello all- I was told about this website from njgunforums.com regarding hunting information. 

I am looking to learn to hunt. My grandfather was an avid hunter and fisherman. My father fished. I always wanted to learn to hunt but never got the chance. The closest I came was having my grandmother hand me her .22 and a box of bullets and telling me to come home with something to cook (which is how she got me out of the house while she watched her soap operas). I’d go out in the woods behind her home and every once in a while manage to dispatch a couple squirrels and occasionally a rabbit. I currently own a 12g single shot and am looking at adding a 20g single shot. I would love to learn how to hunt for turkey, rabbit, squirrel, and pheasant. 

On one occasion I tagged along on a pheasant hunt (I didn’t get to hunt- just watched) and had an amazing time. 

im hoping to gain some knowledge here and maybe find out how to get my feet wet in successfully becoming a NJ hunter. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the site Chris and best of luck on your hunting journey.  :up::up:  

First and foremost,  sign up for a hunter ed class.  That will answer many of your questions. 

https://njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

P.S.  The second best thing that you can do, after the hunter ed class, is to hook up with some experienced hunters.  This site is a great way to get to know some local people.     

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Welcome aboard Chris!

You will gain valuable info and a few pals from this forum!

Welcome to the site Chris. Lots of great info and people on here! :up:

Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard Chris! You will want to sign up for your Hunter Education. Start reading the workbook and also pick up this years Hunting and Trapping Digest. You will want to read this over and over. If you have any questions simply reach out. A lot of knowledge on this site

Edited by Shootemthenmountem

Thank you all! My kid and I are both home sick today. Looks like I’ve got a lot of reading to do!

• Like 1