mazzgolf

did inspection station screw up my transmission?

31 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

What was the diagnosis ?

It was not the transmission. He was low on fu:shock:el 

• Haha 1

Since people were asking - the diagnosis is grim. "trans is shot and is gonna cost a bunch of money to fix it". Can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of it. I bought it new when my wife was pregnant with my youngest, who is now a senior in high school. :) This is the first real problem I had with it in 18 years. I mainly just changed the fluids and got new tires and batteries every now and then.

It's sitting at my mechanics right now - he's gonna see if he can find a buyer for it as-is. He thinks it is a good project car for someone and might know some people that would want it as-is so they can fix it up themselves.

Anyone want a 2001 Honda Civic with about 180,000 miles and a bad trans? $100 bucks and its yours. Air conditioning still works, and has relatively new tires!!

Worst comes to worst, I tow it (or sloooowly drive it) to a scrap yard.

Aamco got me a used transmission for a Carolla a few years ago for about 2k. Your car is definitely worth more then that. Even if you put 2k I bet you can get at least 5k for that car. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I think I do what Bucndoe has suggested and donate the car. Sounds like a great idea. 

1 hour ago, mikejd said:

Aamco got me a used transmission for a Carolla a few years ago for about 2k. Your car is definitely worth more then that. Even if you put 2k I bet you can get at least 5k for that car. 

If in good condition, KBB shows a dealer trade-in value around 680, private party sale value at 1.8K. No way I'd be able to sell this for 5K even after fixing it up.

As for donating, trying to avoid that after our neighbor-friend had that fiasco where she had to hire a lawyer and go to court to free herself of car that boomeranged on her when she "donated it" but was then found abandoned up in north jersey and it was still in her name (new title/paperwork was never filed with the DMV by the people she donated it to).

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

If in good condition, KBB shows a dealer trade-in value around 680, private party sale value at 1.8K. No way I'd be able to sell this for 5K even after fixing it up.

As for donating, trying to avoid that after our neighbor-friend had that fiasco where she had to hire a lawyer and go to court to free herself of car that boomeranged on her when she "donated it" but was then found abandoned up in north jersey and it was still in her name (new title/paperwork was never filed with the DMV by the people she donated it to).

I have done it twice with no issues and no hassles. A scrap guy will come and get it but he/she will really take alot off the top for their time and tow. Your call

Edited by Bucndoe
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

I have done it twice with no issues and no hassles

Who did you donate it to? I really need to ask our friend who she donated it to that ultimately screwed her.