hunt1940

Question about reg changes.

Posted (edited)

I haven't hunted NJ A while , I've been in Ny. This year i decided to try to help my buddy get a bear on our club property . Noticed today you can not hunt bear from a blind , when did this change or was it always this way

Edited by hunt1940

8 minutes ago, hunt1940 said:

I haven't hunted NJ A while , I've been in Ny. This year i decided to try to help my buddy get a bear on our club property . Noticed today you can not hunt bear or deer over bait from a blind ? I knew you couldn't do bear from an elevated stand but now deer as well ? I know the whole 100 yard rule, but when did it change for deer and bear , or has it always been this way and i'm getting old and forgot .

1940, baiting is allowed for deer from a stand or blind. Click on the attached digest (in the sidebar below) and scroll to page 26 of the compendium to clarify. :up:

You can you can hunt from a blind if you are 300 feet from the bait. 

11 hours ago, hunt1940 said:

I haven't hunted NJ A while , I've been in Ny. This year i decided to try to help my buddy get a bear on our club property . Noticed today you can not hunt bear from a blind , when did this change or was it always this way

You can use a blind as long as there is no bait with in 300 foot of it. Hunting runs or natural foods like acorns you can use a blind and be as close as you want.

Snuggle up tight against a tree like you’re turkey hunting. They’re vision isn’t that great. Then you can sit as close to your bait as you want. 

The confusion comes in because baiting is addressed in two areas of the compendium. In one section it prohibits it. In the deer regs, it allows it. I can see the confusion.