BowhunterNJ

Adult Deer Contest Rules and Scoring Discussion

Scoring and Rules Options  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which scoring method do you prefer

• Current Scoring Method
    • New Scoring Method
    • Other Scoring Method

Using raw inside width measurements...it's possible...

This buck...

Buck29.jpg

Would lose to this buck:

deepcallin-17169-wide6.JPG

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

The biggest issue IMO is really ties and not having enough score variance.  That too leads to some smaller scoring bucks getting higher scores as well.

Although I think now if we don't use Groups for width categories, then width would dominate scoring overall.

Agree,  with that said if there is controversy for placing in individual contest have a clause that pope & young will be the determining factor..  I think that would be easiest could do the same for team if there is controversy and would be a big debate,  solves the problem and makes it so not every one needs to score.. could even have a certain day to meet with an official scorer maybe sugar would be game,  plus would give those sn oppurtunity to go into the p&y book if they so choose

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Agree,  with that said if there is controversy for placing in individual contest have a clause that pope & young will be the determining factor..  I think that would be easiest could do the same for team if there is controversy and would be a big debate,  solves the problem and makes it so not every one needs to score.. could even have a certain day to meet with an official scorer maybe sugar would be game,  plus would give those sn oppurtunity to go into the p&y book if they so choose

True, but I guess with the lack of accuracy in not measuring P&Y (or some other gross scoring method), you just have overall skew-able scores for teams and individuals.  Especially with teams across several hunters, that skew could be significant.

This is a tough problem to solve given we are trying to keep it fun and simple, while also offer some incentive with prizes.  

The other aspect is getting it scored.  I know a few have said bring your bucks to the NJW&W dinner.  That would be awesome but may not be practical or possible for everyone interested in getting scored, so they may need to find a local scorer (which also puts a burden on them to find or us to find for them and arrange times to meet up).

In my mind, the best approach all around would be to learn how to score and make it a fun learning exercise on the site.  Even creating a "Score My Buck" topic for everyone who wants to post pictures of their buck's rack and score it together.  That eases the burden on them to know how to score as we can help each other do it.  This doesn't have to be 1/8" precision, but getting it very close to the actual score is very doable.  But that has other obstacles as not everyone has a camera or a smart phone to take pictures and upload them, others won't want to get that involved in all this for a "simple and fun" contest.

So perhaps we keep Team and Individual "simple and fun" contests with the current skewed scoring and then also make a more serious Individual contest that is P&Y Gross scoring based for those who are interested in the more involved steps.  The "simple and fun" may just become bragging rights oriented, although I'm sure many would like prizes.  Perhaps that can be accommodated since people joining know the rules and know there is potential skew involved and accept it as it is. 

11 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

True, but I guess with the lack of accuracy in not measuring P&Y (or some other gross scoring method), you just have overall skew-able scores for teams and individuals.  Especially with teams across several hunters, that skew could be significant.

This is a tough problem to solve given we are trying to keep it fun and simple, while also offer some incentive with prizes.  

The other aspect is getting it scored.  I know a few have said bring your bucks to the NJW&W dinner.  That would be awesome but may not be practical or possible for everyone interested in getting scored, so they may need to find a local scorer (which also puts a burden on them to find or us to find for them and arrange times to meet up).

In my mind, the best approach all around would be to learn how to score and make it a fun learning exercise on the site.  Even creating a "Score My Buck" topic for everyone who wants to post pictures of their buck's rack and score it together.  That eases the burden on them to know how to score as we can help each other do it.  This doesn't have to be 1/8" precision, but getting it very close to the actual score is very doable.  But that has other obstacles as not everyone has a camera or a smart phone to take pictures and upload them, others won't want to get that involved in all this for a "simple and fun" contest.

So perhaps we keep Team and Individual "simple and fun" contests with the current skewed scoring and then also make a more serious Individual contest that is P&Y Gross scoring based for those who are interested in the more involved steps.  The "simple and fun" may just become bragging rights oriented, although I'm sure many would like prizes.  Perhaps that can be accommodated since people joining know the rules and know there is potential skew involved and accept it as it is. 

That was my first suggestion lol..  being that has never happened though I think the clause could work. But I like the separate contests.  Could do 20 to get in the big buck contest and 10 for team so there is an auto magic donation and enter both for 25.. but that's a whole another discussion lol

1 minute ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I vote other..

Submit a 3 photos and let the site vote/ poll the winner.

How do u give a score for the team contest then ?

1 hour ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I vote other..

Submit a 3 photos and let the site vote/ poll the winner.

I like it. Keep the team contest the way it is and let the vote decide which of the 3 top bucks wins in individual :up:

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

I like it. Keep the team contest the way it is and let the vote decide which of the 3 top bucks wins in individual :up:

yes but extend the spread credit into reality. Why should a 17" buck get same credit as a 19" buck?  Or a 19" buck get same credit as a 23" buck? When you start getting into those sort of spreads, we are generally talking about exceptional deer.   (other than the 14", massive 150" buck I allude to - which also exist)

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

yes but extend the spread credit into reality. Why should a 17" buck get same credit as a 19" buck?  Or a 19" buck get same credit as a 23" buck? When you start getting into those sort of spreads, we are generally talking about exceptional deer.   (other than the 14", massive 150" buck I allude to - which also exist)

I agree

2 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

I have a headache.

you battle insects and rodents for a living and work with various levels of poison. And you work with the general public - going into their homes.   Figuring out best way to run a deer contest should be a cake walk for you!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Ha, ha, you are reinventing the wheel!  And it is less than round. But,  good news, the wheel exists! Gross score. 

Edited by Nomad