Adult Deer Contest Rules and Scoring Discussion

Scoring and Rules Options  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which scoring method do you prefer

• Current Scoring Method
    • New Scoring Method
    • Other Scoring Method

14 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I understand that there should be changes but, let's keep it simple. I'll leave it up to the smarter people to figure it out. 

we already did...  Everybody just gotta vote or make better suggestion.   i think even if we stay "status quo" we will increase the spread bands well into the 20s...

Posted (edited)

I am fine any way it goes. I think we need three prizes only. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Not everyone gets a trophy. If two people tie for 2nd then it should be first and two seconds. First gets 60% and 2nd's split the rest. Not 8 different people winning. 

Edited by KBfishing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I am with you on this, and I was actually thinking about it last year.

maybe we can add one or two more measurements and it could make a difference without having to take 30.  This would require a test but maybe adding the longest beam and the longest point could take care of the problem. The more you add the more accurate result  but lets keep it simple. 

My 5 yr old ten point scored 139". Just throwing it out there. I think jacks 9pt was 142". 

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

and put a lot more emphasis on taking GREAT pictures...     Straight arm and all

And being 6'5" 285lbs doesnt help with pics. No matter how far i hold the rack it looks small next to me.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

My 5 yr old ten point scored 139". Just throwing it out there. I think jacks 9pt was 142". 

Hammer got a narrow 14" 8 pt that was ridiculous mass and extremely long tines, totaling around 148 inches gross... That buck would not have even made top 10 bucks entered by current rules (had he been in contest).   

3 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

And being 6'5" 285lbs doesnt help with pics. No matter how far i hold the rack it looks small next to me.

damn - do you eat an entire deer in one sitting? :rofl:

• Haha 1

Just now, JHbowhunter said:

damn - do you eat an entire deer in one sitting? :rofl:

I actually do. I make it all into jerky and eat it with a case of beer. I still can't figure out why I have high blood pressure.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, KBfishing said:

I actually do. I make it all into jerky and eat it with a case of beer. I still can't figure out why I have high blood pressure.

Try a less salty beer and you will be fine...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, KBfishing said:

You know the Eagles and Giants both need some help...

2 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

KB at Tight End, Zipper at Nose Tackle, would definitely help the O & D...

7 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Fuzzzball is the devil

Posted (edited)

Damn i'm tired reading all the pages since I wasn't on the site last night. 

As for everyone scoring their buck and using the online scoring system sounds good I don't think a lot of people won't do or have time to do it. Plus most don't know how to measure correctly. There is no way for someone to have picture of all measurements. 

Scoring is great and I always want to score every buck I see or hear about but 95% of NJ hunters may never have a chance for a P&Y buck their entire life. So going by score will make less people enter. You want more people to enter and make it enjoyable for everyone. 

I think the way the rules are now are good except get rid of the spread credit. Spread is only measuring air any ways. Jack as much as you don't like spread cause it can give a smaller buck higher score for the contest this is a fun contest and helps the site with more activity and give a little bragging rights too, it's cheap to enter so keep it fun and a chance for more people to win something. 

If going to go by score use the buckmasters Full-Credit scoring system which it gives credit for the total score of the antlers without any deductions. Measure just the total antler inches and not the air for spread credit.

https://www.buckmasters.com/Resources/BTR/Philosophy

Also make it that every deer has to be entered with in a week of being shot. this way more deer will be entered. Some guys like to wait till after season to enter their deer in hopes of shooting something bigger. Well enter the deer after you get it or it won't count. If you shoot a bigger one you are allowed to upgrade. 

Edited by Buck154
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nevermind. This seems too complicated. :)

Edited by DV1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Damn i'm tired reading all the pages since I wasn't on the site last night. 

As for everyone scoring their buck and using the online scoring system sounds good I don't think a lot of people won't do or have time to do it. Plus most don't know how to measure correctly. There is no way for someone to have picture of all measurements. 

Scoring is great and I always want to score every buck I see or hear about but 95% of NJ hunters may never have a chance for a P&Y buck their entire life. So going by score will make less people enter. You want more people to enter and make it enjoyable for everyone. 

I think the way the rules are now are good except get rid of the spread credit. Spread is only measuring air any ways. Jack as much as you don't like spread cause it can give a smaller buck higher score for the contest this is a fun contest and helps the site with more activity and give a little bragging rights too, it's cheap to enter so keep it fun and a chance for more people to win something. 

If going to go by score use the buckmasters Full-Credit scoring system which it gives credit for the total score of the antlers without any deductions. Measure just the total antler inches and not the air for spread credit.

https://www.buckmasters.com/Resources/BTR/Philosophy

Also make it that every deer has to be entered with in a week of being shot. this way more deer will be entered. Some guys like to wait till after season to enter their deer in hopes of shooting something bigger. Well enter the deer after you get it or it won't count. If you shoot a bigger one you are allowed to upgrade. 

We are proposing the buckmaster system.   It's the P&Y NT calc sheet, but you just add back in the deductions at the  end so everything counts. Definitely not enough interest so I doubt we will be making changes. Only 16 votes.    If we keep it the same - probably just need to give more credit beyond 17", and carry it into the 20s.     OR - instead of measuring inside spread (one measurement) we could compromise and take two beam total.   Yes that requires a cable (a phone charging cord works great btw), but it's pretty easy to do.   

What about "points" plus beam credit?   i.e. - An 8 point buck, plus 20" plus 20" beams, = 48 points.  9 point buck, 21" plus 22" beams = 52 points, etc.

This allow narrow bucks having exceptional beams to compete.

And I say this knowing that my target buck would do extremely well under current system.   Just trying to make it more fair for everyone.  As others have said - nobody getting rich off this, we want to increase participation not LOSE participation and keep it fun, as it has been fun for years.

Edited by JHbowhunter

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

We are proposing the buckmaster system.   It's the P&Y NT calc sheet, but you just add back in the deductions at the  end so everything counts. Definitely not enough interest so I doubt we will be making changes. Only 16 votes.    If we keep it the same - probably just need to give more credit beyond 17", and carry it into the 20s.     OR - instead of measuring inside spread (one measurement) we could compromise and take two beam total.   Yes that requires a cable (a phone charging cord works great btw), but it's pretty easy to do.   

What about "points" plus beam credit?   i.e. - An 8 point buck, plus 20" plus 20" beams, = 48 points.  9 point buck, 21" plus 22" beams = 52 points, etc.

This would at least give narrow bucks having exceptional beams to compete.

I think adding one or two more parameters would help. I like the longest beam or the longest point or both. - Adding beams would do the same