Jump to content
BowhunterNJ

Adult Deer Contest Rules and Scoring Discussion

Scoring and Rules Options  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Which scoring method do you prefer

    • Current Scoring Method
    • New Scoring Method
    • Other Scoring Method


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Measure it when you get the rack back.  Nothing says you have to measure it immediately.

Much better way, I agree. Just give us more time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Jay actually thought about this and suggested it too.  The problem then becomes it's only a big buck contest.  So what do we do with teams?  No doe kills?  Only have an individual buck contest?

During the season use the current system for bucks, just to keep it interesting . At the end vote on all bucks and assign point as per vote. Let say the top voted buck will get whatever we had in points for the largest buck reported. Then subtract 2 points for every subsequent buck below the winner.
I like the idea of voting since I like bucks for what I see, not for what they measured. I only measured two bucks since I started hunting and it was PIA .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like about the measuring is that it's not subjective.  It is what it is, the math is the math.  When you get into subjective (opinion) voting for things, especially involving prizes, you see recruitment for votes, social media distro, etc...which all may be a good little boost for the site, but then it becomes a popularity contest of who can get the most recruitment.

I don't mind giving it more time to award prizes by waiting for measurements, but we also need to have a relative timeline for it.  Without an "end date", someone could just stagnate the entire contest by never entering a score.  So what is a reasonable amount of time after the contest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of having a fun contest.  Voting for the most "liked" deer of the year.  No prize money or anything.

Also, have the big money official contest with objective scoring criteria.  I would say all measurements should be in 1 week after the close of deer season.  

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What I like about the measuring is that it's not subjective.  It is what it is, the math is the math.  When you get into subjective (opinion) voting for things, especially involving prizes, you see recruitment for votes, social media distro, etc...which all may be a good little boost for the site, but then it becomes a popularity contest of who can get the most recruitment.

I don't mind giving it more time to award prizes by waiting for measurements, but we also need to have a relative timeline for it.  Without an "end date", someone could just stagnate the entire contest by never entering a score.  So what is a reasonable amount of time after the contest?

I think most butcher's get it done in one week. Give it two with an option to request another week if for some reason it takes  longer, for example during the six day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I like the idea of having a fun contest.  Voting for the most "liked" deer of the year.  No prize money or anything.

Also, have the big money official contest with objective scoring criteria.  I would say all measurements should be in 1 week after the close of deer season.  

Also a possibility.  We have a fun individual contest (no prize and vote oriented) and a measurement based individual contest (entry fee prize(s))?  Eliminate teams?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What I like about the measuring is that it's not subjective.  It is what it is, the math is the math.  When you get into subjective (opinion) voting for things, especially involving prizes, you see recruitment for votes, social media distro, etc...which all may be a good little boost for the site, but then it becomes a popularity contest of who can get the most recruitment.

I don't mind giving it more time to award prizes by waiting for measurements, but we also need to have a relative timeline for it.  Without an "end date", someone could just stagnate the entire contest by never entering a score.  So what is a reasonable amount of time after the contest?

You personally don't  worry about how you are going  to deal with a buck which looks like a 100" but reported as 120"? You require 1 single measurement now and you still have 12" wide bucks reported as 18". You may give yourself a headache:shock::happywave:
 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote for no teams.  1, 2, 3.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current system I think keeps it as fair as it can be with the demographics of nj.  If you go with Pope and young there is already a disadvantage to some just by where they hunt..  while I dont disagree with a big buck contest I like the team aspect..  think about this for example..  I live in the pines where a pope n young is possible it's not nearly as frequent as say someone that lives in Monmouth county where there are farms.   Than you get into public land that is pressured and private that gets hunted 4 or 5 times for one buck..  my opinion is keep it the current format but add a big buck contest based on score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

The current system I think keeps it as fair as it can be with the demographics of nj.  If you go with Pope and young there is already a disadvantage to some just by where they hunt..  while I dont disagree with a big buck contest I like the team aspect..  think about this for example..  I live in the pines where a pope n young is possible it's not nearly as frequent as say someone that lives in Monmouth county where there are farms.   Than you get into public land that is pressured and private that gets hunted 4 or 5 times for one buck..  my opinion is keep it the current format but add a big buck contest based on score.

Thats a good point, you have almost no chance of doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that's definitely the nature of big buck contests too, they favor those with good properties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Yes that's definitely the nature of big buck contests too, they favor those with good properties.

You have some decisions to make and quickly:shock::happywave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What I like about the measuring is that it's not subjective. 

Matt that's kind of not true . Not everybody knows how to measure correctly and this could effect score + or -  several inches .  Keep the teams contest as that was just fun .  Change the spread credit to actual spread and that should help with some of the issues that Jack brought up . Let's not make this to complicated . Nobody's getting rich here . 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isn't there an app that can score a buck off of a picture?  If everyone just took the same picture, and someone "neutral" has the app, we can just do something like that.   I just don't like the idea of a 15" 8pt buck with 12" G2's and 10" G3's and tons of mass, making record book for real, but yet losing to a year and a half old, 17" 9pt that doesn't even break 100 inches. Not that it has happened, but it very easily could and surely will eventually although maybe not quite to that level of extreme.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

isn't there an app that can score a buck off of a picture?  If everyone just took the same picture, and someone "neutral" has the app, we can just do something like that.   I just don't like the idea of a 15" 8pt buck with 12" G2's and 10" G3's and tons of mass, making record book for real, but yet losing to a year and a half old, 17" 9pt that doesn't even break 100 inches. Not that it has happened, but it very easily could and surely will eventually although maybe not quite to that level of extreme.  

 

I am with you on this, and I was actually thinking about it last year.

maybe we can add one or two more measurements and it could make a difference without having to take 30.  This would require a test but maybe adding the longest beam and the longest point could take care of the problem. The more you add the more accurate result  but lets keep it simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...