BowhunterNJ

Scoring and Rules Options  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which scoring method do you prefer

• Current Scoring Method
    • New Scoring Method
    • Other Scoring Method

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

The amount of time it takes to do current system, means you were having access to it at some point.  To take just a few more minutes to get it right....  not a big deal.  Then go enter it into the online calculator at your leisure - not a big deal, again I just tested it out.    Obviously processing your meat and arranging with a taxidermist is paramount.    Getting your contest information squared away is always secondary and there is no requirement that it has to be done "same day".   Don't be a lazy ass lunatic!  

In ideal conditions and with time yes. How am I doing it the next day when my buck is at the butcher's?
How are you going to verify the numbers when the buck score looks funny, which Matt does now? Is someone going to photograph all measurements required for P&Y scoring? How do you do it if you are by yourself? I actually find it hard just to take a pictures of the spread.

My opinion, no big deal.

Edited by Lunatic

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

I have processed 18 bucks through a taxidermist. At no time was there ever a period when I could not take some simple measurements.   Better yet  - do it with your taxidermist.  Also you can hold onto the antlers.  In fact - anyone interested in entering a buck in P&Y, I highly recommend holding your antlers until your taxi needs them.   It's much easier for a taxi to do the official score after 60 day drying period, BEFORE they are mounted.

I agree Jack. Even though my Taxidermist is  a personal friend, I have no problem stopping in and getting a score done. I will bet my left nut right now he would be more than happy to do it.

19 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

That is a good point we didn't think about.  This isn't a quick measurement, it will take some time and the butcher may have a head for awhile, and after that it's may be going to a taxidermist.

It's true the measuring is problematic, but it's also imbalanced, so that's a double edge sword of a bad scoring system for the contest currently.

@Lunatic any recommendations for an easier approach that offers more scoring balance?

I do understand that with the current way we may and we do end up with a "lesser deer" winning. I also agree with the fact the only way to find the best buck is the 2nd method suggested.
I can't think right now of any other way, but I will give it some thought.
maybe we have to stay with the imperfect system instead of asking for something that may turn out to be a major PIA. 

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

I do understand that with the current way we may and we do end up with a "lesser deer" winning. I also agree with the fact the only way to find the best buck is the 2nd method suggested.
I can't think right now of any other way, but I will give it some thought.
maybe we have to stay with the imperfect system instead of asking for something that may turn out to be a major PIA. 

That is the balancing question, what's the least PIA while still promoting the best balance.

5 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

That is the balancing question, what's the least PIA while still promoting the best balance.

If you go the new way you will have to change one more rule, which would give people more time for reporting their entry. This way we could do it at home instead of field measurements which I think is very problematic. Maybe a month after each season? 

How about verification? Now you ask for one picture with a tape measurement, the points are countable form the posted pic. How many pictures will you need on a small 8 pointer with the new system? what is it, 25? Or forget about verification at this point, who cares its a friendly contest, and I personally would be ok with it. 

In order to get it right definitely more time is needed. However nothing wrong with posting it right away either.  Have to also realize it would impact team scoring as well. But again consider that under current system a far lesser buck can win individual and influence team score. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

The instruction say subtract column 3.  Is this a typo?

No it says FINAL SCORE + DEDUCTIONS (Subtract:  Column 3 value)

So you are adding FINAL SCORE and the DEDUCTIONS which are in the "Subtract row, and Column 3 value" of the form.

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

No it says FINAL SCORE + DEDUCTIONS (Subtract:  Column 3 value)

So you are adding FINAL SCORE and the DEDUCTIONS which are in the "Subtract row, and Column 3 value" of the form.

OK, the form doesn't do it for you. You have add the deductions to the final score manually.

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

OK, the form doesn't do it for you. You have add the deductions to the final score manually.

Correct.  P&Y penalizes for lack of symmetry, so it has deductions which are accounted for when rendering the TOTAL SCORE in the form.  We want to add those deductions back to get the full gross score.

3 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

How about just putting it to a vote. At the end of the season start a thread that has all contest bucks and let all WW members vote for their favorite one.

Jay actually thought about this and suggested it too.  The problem then becomes it's only a big buck contest.  So what do we do with teams?  No doe kills?  Only have an individual buck contest?

3 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Jay actually thought about this and suggested it too.  The problem then becomes it's only a big buck contest.  So what do we do with teams?  No doe kills?  Only have an individual buck contest?

Maybe keep something similar to what you have for the teams and a vote for the solo....this gives the smaller bucks a fair shot because not everyone is just going to automatically like the biggest one, there may be smaller ones with good character that could out vote a larger one(just a thought)

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸