VFL

Public land hunting

Some things you can't get away from. If another hunter moves in he might not know you hunt there. Especially, now with so much green and cover he might not see a stand or evidence  that someone is there. I'd definitely let the guy know what is going on and see what shakes out. You'll be able to determine right away if he is a sportsman or not. There are still a few of those around. In the meantime, I'd be looking for other opportunities and spots elsewhere.

I agree with the note on the stand...last season I had a guy set up a stand no joke 30 yards from mine with a camera and a bait pile. I walked in one afternoon and saw his new setup and noticed he left his bow and pack up in the tree (maybe taking a midday break?). I left a note on his tree that said just an FYI my stand gets hunted often and I will move on to another spot for that afternoon cause I saw he was already set up. I said I drove a blue Chevy and if he ever saw it in the lot to stop and chat so we could work out when each of us was planning on hunting that spot. 

I guess he thought my stand wasn’t in use or didn’t want to deal with me cause his stand was gone a couple weeks later...

Try to bump into the guy. He may end up becoming a hunting buddy. I hunt a WMA and have about 6 stands set up so I always run into someone. I got to know many of them and we now communicate when we are hunting and what we are seeing. It is also always nice to have hunting friends around that know where you are in case you need a hand dragging/tracking or if there were a medical issue. It does not have to be cutthroat when it comes to public land. Most guys are just looking for the same thing you are-- a good buck and some respect from other hunters. So don't get discouraged. And you would be amazed how different 50 yards apart can be. Because that is exactly what happened to me and another guy set up 50 yards apart. He sends me pics of deer I don't get on my trail cam and vice versa. So 50 yards apart and you would think we were hunting miles away from each other.

• Agree 1