VFL

Public land hunting

31 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I give you guys alot of credit hunting public land. I would give up hunting in this state if I had to do it.

There is a lot of it. Just have to find the out of the way places to go.  I've run into only 2 bowhunters in the last 5 years.  Gun season gets a little crazy.  Have to get in early, get deep into thick stuff, and let everybody push the deer to you.  It's not too hard to go where others don't want to go or drag a deer out of.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hunt their stands and leave a thank you note.  A little common curtesy can go a long way. :eyebrow:

• Like 1

Get out and move. More ppl less deer. I have about 20 different pieces of public land pre scouted to have plenty of options. Don’t get emotionally attached to a spot. Public land is always changing and the results are rarely the same every year. 

3 hours ago, Mr12gauge said:

you can just reposition to cut them off.

With the lay of the land, it’ll be tough, but that’s kinda where I’m at. Trying to find plan b, c and d

6 hours ago, VFL said:

Easy access for me - I have permission to park where nobody else can and I walk in from the back. It’s a hike for them...

They come from the front?.Hunt the downwind flank.What do you usually put your time in,morning post or evening?

• Like 1

like bob1 said, use them to your advantage. With scent from 3 hunters, deer will alter patterns. Make a shift to the new pattern if you can.

Hunt smart.

Talk to that person.

Move or place another stand and leave the original.

Use to your advantage. 

Do the same thing when people just show up and put in a bait pile.

In NJ, most stands I see on public land are hunted out of once or twice per season is all.  Chances are good you'll never see those other hunters, but a note in a Ziploc baggie hung on some of their stands will get you a call to discuss who is hunting and when.  That will help.  If they say they only hunt 6 Day and you only bow hunt, then there's likely no need to move your stand.  Communication is always key in anything in life, and hunting stands are no different.    

• Like 1

I hunt public land almost exclusively.  I always have 5-20 spots on the ready at all times.  I will only hunt a spot where I know I have a great chance at killing a certain buck.  If someone’s in my area for the day, pack it in and go to spot #2 if you feel the other hunter is ruining your chances.  Stands can change from good to bad or vice versa in a heartbeat for many reasons (pressure, food, rut, time of year, etc.). Don’t be held down to one spot, be mobile and hunt smart, you’ll kill more deer.  I run about 15+ cameras at all times to constantly scout throughout the season.  It is very rare for me to hunt the same stand or area after I have killed a mature buck out of it, my spots change throughout the year and from year to year.  Also, if your hunting the same stand all the time and the wind is not right to hunt that stand, are you hunting it anyway?  Most hunters can be there own worst enemy with their stands.  Other hunters, even close, may help you in the right situation.  All of these deer that go nocturnal once the season starts are (IMO) caused by the hunter himself.  Every buck is somewhere in the daytime.  You may have to change your spots with his needs to kill him.  Stay mobile, hunt smart!

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

3 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I hunt public land almost exclusively.  I always have 5-20 spots on the ready at all times.  I will only hunt a spot where I know I have a great chance at killing a certain buck.  If someone’s in my area for the day, pack it in and go to spot #2 if you feel the other hunter is ruining your chances.  Stands can change from good to bad or vice versa in a heartbeat for many reasons (pressure, food, rut, time of year, etc.). Don’t be held down to one spot, be mobile and hunt smart, you’ll kill more deer.  I run about 15+ cameras at all times to constantly scout throughout the season.  It is very rare for me to hunt the same stand or area after I have killed a mature buck out of it, my spots change throughout the year and from year to year.  Also, if your hunting the same stand all the time and the wind is not right to hunt that stand, are you hunting it anyway?  Most hunters can be there own worst enemy with their stands.  Other hunters, even close, may help you in the right situation.  All of these deer that go nocturnal once the season starts are (IMO) caused by the hunter himself.  Every buck is somewhere in the daytime.  You may have to change your spots with his needs to kill him.  Stay mobile, hunt smart!

Great advice.  Especially regarding how many hunters hunt the same stand regardless of the amount of days they've been in it or the wind direction.  

• Like 1

thats why i barely deer hunt anymore. its not worth my aggravation. if i had private land i would be out all weekend. 

i was in your boat a few years ago. one year i went out and boom. everywhere i looked i saw a stand. i just said well it was good while it lasted. 

14 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

I give you guys alot of credit hunting public land. I would give up hunting in this state if I had to do it.

Tar i'm retired i have driven past and hunted public land in this state for years and have seen very few hunters out during the week. But i also hunt private that has more traffic going on the public. People on horses, landscapers clearing horse paths etc.

1 hour ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I totally agree with all your points and I have found myself with many backup plans over the years. I always hunt the wind, but that particular spot, during the rut, with a north wind is my go-to. I felt some hunter pressure close by last year, so I got some lw sticks and a lightweight Millennium to go portable this year.  

I’m with Bucksandbows, hang zip loc bags with crap on their stands. Or did he say notes, I don’t remember.?

• Haha 2