VFL

Public land hunting

I know it’s public land, but what do you guys do when you’ve hunted the same spot for years where you thought you were away from everybody and all of a sudden a guy pretty much takes over and hangs stands all around you? Do you stay put or get out of dodge? It’s a good spot, easy access and ideal for the rut, but this guy and his friends are hanging stands 20-200 yards around me. 

Bring in Hillary. She'll take care of it. Otherwise, I got nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BHC said:

Easy access = more hunters

Easy access for me - I have permission to park where nobody else can and I walk in from the back. It’s a hike for them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VFL said:

Easy access for me - I have permission to park where nobody else can and I walk in from the back. It’s a hike for them...

Stay put

Stay, he may hunt twice or be a good hunter who will not have negative effect on your ares, or move. 

Number one thing to do in hunting, especially on public land is to avoid being fixed to an area. I hunt private but I still move as much as possible 

Put a note in a ziplock and put it on his tree try to work things out. If that don’t work game on 

• Agree 3

Happens a lot.  I've always moved on, but kept an eye on the place for when they've moved out or to see how often they hunt there.  Sometimes stands are put up, used once and don't come down until the tree dies.  Too many hunters, and the deer will change their patterns, which they do throughout the year anyway.  You have to pattern deer and other hunters on public lands.  If I know the area well enough, I can figure out where the deer will go to or come from, and set up there.  Sometimes I can get farther back to cut off the other hunters, sometimes I go to a completely different place.  

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Anything is better than staying there and having your hunt ruined by another guy walking in to his stand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Like ithica said,hold your ground. Whenever I put a season into a new hunting ground the first and second year was a learning experience and there's been many you have your time and you have the advantage do not be discouraged listen to The Whisper  of graybeard.a low profile go stealth, pattern the hunters in other words what  days do they hunt,are they Weekend Warriors do they do morning post or Evening Post.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A couple of years ago I was hunting a spot during bow season and decided to hunt the muzzy opener with the same friend I was there with during bow season. I don't particularly like hunting on public land but I enjoy hunting with that friend and don't see him as often as I would like so it is what is. I put my climber up early and right before first light another guy came in and sat about 60 yards away. I tried flashing  and whistling but he never acknowledged me. Half hour after sunrise I shoot a buck that came from my right. The other guy nearly crapped himself when I shot, but I tried. Bottom line is, its up to you and what you are willing to endure. One thing I wouldn't do is leave anything that you aren't willing to lose 

On a side note this happens on private land also. I have a spot where my favorite stand is and my neighbor has his favorite stand not far. He is on his land, I'm on mine. Three years ago I shot a buck on the opener morning, two years ago he did, last year I did. I'm not moving and neither is he. As much as you may think the area is flooded with guys, the deer are going to walk where they feel like walking if not pushed

Edited by Bucndoe
  • Like 2

I give you guys alot of credit hunting public land. I would give up hunting in this state if I had to do it.

• Agree 1