been messing around with my wife's camera. its a nikon d3200. went out in the backyard for a little

DSC_0764.thumb.JPG.68fa27a85b83935705e493fc9e74c077.JPGDSC_0762.thumb.JPG.242c2d9269d4ee570ae9518b75dd7479.JPGDSC_0763.thumb.JPG.5932d362fb889d65e0ede732dde8952b.JPGDSC_0768.thumb.JPG.1c4dd4394536d89996ab33451d4a632e.JPG

• Like 9

Hey, I like em all. And I take lots of great blurry pictures too.

• Haha 2

Cool pics!  With plenty of daylight, you can go with a larger depth of field (higher f-stop), but a lot of times we like the bokeh (blurry background).  It's hard on bugs, but in general for all subjects you want the core focus on the eyes.  In the case of yours, it's more tail oriented but it also has to do with the positioning of the insect and composition.  Still great shots, and always cool to see pics!  Nice job! :up:

General rule of thumb is to focus on the eye or eyes.

You are slightly off,  but good pics none the less.

Good job

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Nice! I did the same thing today but through my home office window with a point and shoot Nikon. I was trying to get a hummingbird but he was too quick. Settled for this moth.

006.JPG

005.JPG

Edited by Woodsman416
  • Like 1

thanks, yeah im no expert. still going through the functions and what not. i tried getting the eyes, but couldnt from the way it was postioned.

why is the bottom so clear, but the rest is blurry? 

3 hours ago, Kype said:

why is the bottom so clear, but the rest is blurry? 

Combination of focus point and aperture.  If you're shooting on auto you have no control over aperture.  Likewise you may have auto focus point selected which will select based on the cameras processing/computation of the frame/scene.  

You'll need to shoot in manual or aperture priority to set your aperture.  And you'll want to either use single focus point (aimed at the eyes) with a low aperture OR either single or multi focus points with a higher aperture (less blur, more "focus" over a deeper depth of field) 

There's a lot to photography but it's fun to learn.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  Key is to learn how aperture, shutter speed, and focal length influence the photo.  Then try different combinations to see the different results. :up:

• Like 1

One of my favorite things about this site, the wealth of knowledge from great people.  Bought a backpack full of camera stuff for my daughter and can't wait until Christmas so I can start using it!! I will be experimenting a lot.

• Like 1