Big one

Anyone over 55 still hunting with compound bows

20 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Glad to say I'm way past 50 and don't feel like that at all .

I can still hang a stand faster than most 20 year olds .

Still shoot 70 pounds with ease .

Shoot almost 60 pounds with all my stick  bows.

And hoping to be doing all the same into my 70's.

While im sure my life is probably 2/3 over .the last 1/3 Is going to be the best of it

You don't smoke or drink. Something to be said for that.  I smoke a cigar about once a week and although I cut way down on beer, I do like my vodka martinis.   I watched my dad smoke cigarettes and a pipe heavily all his life until about age 52 along with drinking way more than I do.   His heart and lungs had all sort of problems by age 60- the damage was too severe.  He still made it to 83, but his quality of life his last 15 years could have been a lot better.        I can honestly say most days I feel as good as I ever had. Even shoulder feels good now that I shot past few days.  Main reason I feel great most days, is that I figured out how to manage herniated disks. I spent much of my 30s and even 40s in severe pain. Hell I still remember being off for 2 weeks as the rut kicked off, and pulling my boots on in the garage and going down for the count and being bed-ridden entire time!      Core strengthening, better mattress, and stretching was the key.

I'm 54 and on my way to double nickels, but still shoot a compound.  In fact, I will be buying a new Hoyt most likely for next season.  Was going to pull that trigger this year, but ran low on time and don't want to introduce a new bow until after this season is over.  My old Hoyt shoots just fine.  

Like some of the others, I only recently started to shoot again to get ready for this fall.  I always take it easy and take only 3 shots the first day.  If things feel good as they did last weekend, I increase the next day to 3 shots taken 3 times a day.  Now that I have been doing that and my muscles all feel fine, I'll begin shooting more than 10 arrows at a time.  But other days I like to just take that one shot to mimic a real hunting situation and to keep me mentally sharp.  I'm not looking forward to only hunting archery with a crossgun, but it may be a reality one day.  For now, my shoulders are in fine shape and shooting a compound is easy.  I just have to be careful with lifting weights given that I had at least one heart attack that did some damage to my heart.  Everything got rebuilt with my ticker, but there is residual damage from a previous heart attack(s).  For me, that means a quad as I hunt on mostly private lands in NJ and NY.  Easier to haul on a quad than drag by hand.....  

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Seems to be the trend.  If I'm not mistaken, you're a computer tech?  I notice a lot of people who worked hard labor all their lives don't fair well later in life.  

I'm a union electrician . 

Been doing large pipe and wire for 37 years .

Had a tree service that I worked as a second job for almost ten years . 

Then was shoeing horses for another second job after that . 

Hard work keeps a body in shape when done right .

Computer tech pfffft

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Don't worry about that.  It's all a downhill ride after 50.

Oh uh... :eek: I hit that magic number in a couple months. 

• Like 1

I have a friend that just switched from his compound 2 years ago at age 81. He now has a crossbow and only hunts from a ground blind, no more climbing for him.