Big one

Anyone over 55 still hunting with compound bows

On 8/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, archer36 said:

It is either a personal decision or physical limitation that decides. I never considered a crossbow until about 6 years ago when my near/far vision was a problem with shooting my compound. Had to make the switch to avoid losing deer. Whet ever you decide for whatever reason is YOUR business. There is no shame in shooting a crossbow. If you hunt with a gun then it's hypocritical to condemn a crossbow. It's somewhere in between a muzzleloader and a compound bow. 

If you are shooting compound it is hypocritical as well because you can step down to long or recurve bow.
At the end why would anyone be against more efficient weapon? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

If you are shooting compound it is hypocritical as well because you can step down to long or recurve bow.
At the end why would anyone be against more efficient weapon? 

Amazing. I agree with your post. LOL An "ethical" hunter tries to harvest his game as efficiently as possible. We put in the effort to sight in our guns to be as accurate as possible. We don't make it more "challenging" by taking chances. No doubt that becoming more proficient with a crossbow is easier than a compound, but that's not a bad thing is it? 

Edited by archer36
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

…  :D And the stupid thing is - I have one of those home gym machines down in my basement I've had for years so there is no excuse I can't just go down there for 15 or 30 minutes to just do some stretches and weights. Haven't sat on that machine in a long time, but I think I need to start.

That's why I started going to the gym in the mornings before work. There were always excuses I could make to not do some working out at home, or at the gym, in the evenings … have to work late, problem with the house, kid stuff, family stuff, or just dog tired from the day.

There's nothing to stop me from actually being at that gym at 6 am, other than I did not want to get out of bed. And, that makes me a bum. lol

1 minute ago, SPEARFISH said:

Still hoping to make it to 55.

Me too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, archer36 said:

No doubt that becoming more proficient with a crossbow is easier than a compound, but that's not a bad thing is it? 

No!!!

shot 12 arrows tonight, the oil can rotator cuff is finally loosening up...  Felt pretty good.    I quit while I was ahead. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

If ya hurt yourself you’ll do no good! Try shooting 10 arrows twice a day. Or less if you feel something “not right”. In a week you’ll be able to start getting back after it. 

it's the first shot that counts you usually only get one!...  Best thing to do is shoot one a day, every day!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

62 and hunting with a recurve - #40 and razor sharp Zwicky Eskimos.  Chompin' at the bit to get out there again.

16 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

Still hoping to make it to 55.

16 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

Me too. 

Don't worry about that.  It's all a downhill ride after 50.

Before pulling a muscle in my shoulder 2 weeks before the season, I had worked out on the machines at a gym(no heavy lifting on the upper body), and shot all year long, plus my job required continuous arm lifts and heavy lifting.  All it takes is one tweak the wrong way, or one shot too many when you get older.  It can take weeks, even months, instead of days for a burning muscle or knot to heal enough not to go right out again.  Seems like after a muscle pulled once, it continues to happen again in the same area.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Don't worry about that.  It's all a downhill ride after 50.

Before pulling a muscle in my shoulder 2 weeks before the season, I had worked out on the machines at a gym(no heavy lifting on the upper body), and shot all year long, plus my job required continuous arm lifts and heavy lifting.  All it takes is one tweak the wrong way, or one shot too many when you get older.  It can take weeks, even months, instead of days for a burning muscle or knot to heal enough not to go right out again.  Seems like after a muscle pulled once, it continues to happen again in the same area.

Glad to say I'm way past 50 and don't feel like that at all .

I can still hang a stand faster than most 20 year olds .

Still shoot 70 pounds with ease .

Shoot almost 60 pounds with all my stick  bows.

And hoping to be doing all the same into my 70's.

While im sure my life is probably 2/3 over .the last 1/3 Is going to be the best of it

Edited by hammer4reel
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Glad to say I'm way past 50 and don't feel like that at all .

I can still hang a stand faster than most 20 year olds .

Still shoot 70 pounds with ease .

Shoot almost 60 pounds with all my stick  bows.

And hoping to be doing all the same into my 70's.

Seems to be the trend.  If I'm not mistaken, you're a computer tech?  I notice a lot of people who worked hard labor all their lives don't fair well later in life.  

5 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Seems to be the trend.  If I'm not mistaken, you're a computer tech?  I notice a lot of people who worked hard labor all their lives don't fair well later in life.  

He is an electrician, working in the field.

I am behind the desk but for the last 20 years I play Ice hockey, 2 to 3 times/week. Being closer to 60 than 50 I have no physical limitations . I hunt anyway I like and the only difference now is I do everything little slower. I play smart, not hard anymore because in the last few years I had some injuries and they don't heal as quickly as they used to.