Big one

Anyone over 55 still hunting with compound bows

3 hours ago, 230jhp said:

I am 71 and still hunted with the compound from the climbing treestand. Thinking of retiring this year from deer hunting. Not because of shootng the compound....I still shoot better than most.  Thinking of ending my 50+ year deer hunting career because of the difficulty getting a deer out of the woods.

If you're up here in the NW corner of the state, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number.  I have a cart and a sled.  2 old farts are better than 1

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yeah bow muscles.Know all about it kid.What about the other arm to hold steady.Vision change with age?Enjoy youth while you can.

Your bow arm is built up and is part of your “bow muscles”. A lot of options for guys with less then ideal vision also. But I’m not here to argue. I don’t care in the least what anyone does or shoots. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

so tell me why I didn't do it in the past year?  I have never been this busy in my life.  This sucks.    Already feeling stress of upcoming bow season, and feel I barely fished enough this summer.     I even have a bow exerciser somewhere in this house where I could literally sit and watch TV and draw draw draw...  Wish it were June, feel I am 3 month behind

The hardest part of anything is starting. Whether that’s picking the bow up for the first time of the year, or going to the gym or whatever it may be. I feel like I’m behind every year. Bc from May-July you think there’s so much time. Then the calendar says August and your in the middle of 3 projects at once. The only thing easy to start doing is drinking a beer on the deck with grill going 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Greybeard said:

If you're up here in the NW corner of the state, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number.  I have a cart and a sled.  2 old farts are better than 1

I heard when you get old you never trust a fart. Now your saying you that 2 are better then one? Conspiracy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Damn still can't get over how 60# felt like 90# yesterday.  This has never happened.  Have to get serious about loosening up that shoulder now.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Damn still can't get over how 60# felt like 90# yesterday.  This has never happened.  Have to get serious about loosening up that shoulder now.  

I hear a 90 pound Asian woman with high heels can loosen up those muscles quick. That’s what I was told anyway. I wouldn’t know personally. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

The key to anything physical is making it a year round routine. And not having time is no excuse. You could legit take 5 shots a day in your living room from 5 feet away just to keep the muscles working. 

In 1972 while going to school in Vermont,I broke my collar bone landing on top of a mogal on the first jump North peak Mt Snow.Long tobaggan ride.lol.. self-taught therapy shooting a 55 lb recurve I couldn't drawback  2 inchs,in the springtime everyday or every other day I would attempt pulling little by little as the months passed before opening day I was finally anchoring.

• Like 3

I was 54 when I bought my first compound.  Now 62, just bought a Hoyt RX3.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ssm1957 said:

I was 54 when I bought my first compound.  Now 62, just bought a Hoyt RX3.

Bought my first in 1974.Bear Alaskan.I think it was 30% let off.Technology has come a long way. I currently have a Hoyt Aspen.Good luck with her ssm1957!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

I hear a 90 pound Asian woman with high heels can loosen up those muscles quick. That’s what I was told anyway. I wouldn’t know personally. 

If I had a 90# Asian she'd be on her back.Just saying.;)

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, Livesintrees said:

The hardest part of anything is starting. Whether that’s picking the bow up for the first time of the year, or going to the gym or whatever it may be.

I'm laughing as I'm reading this because over the weekend I just went to the range with my bow for the first time this year to start getting ready. I was there no more than an hour and my shoulder muscle is still killing me (and it's Tuesday right now:eek:)! Yesterday, I literally could not raise my arm above my head without a searing pain going through my shoulder muscle. It's getting better, but I really need to start working out regularly. Working on a computer all day, there are muscles I never use, until I rip them to shreds when I go shoot a bow for the first time in months :D And the stupid thing is - I have one of those home gym machines down in my basement I've had for years so there is no excuse I can't just go down there for 15 or 30 minutes to just do some stretches and weights. Haven't sat on that machine in a long time, but I think I need to start.

4 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm laughing as I'm reading this because over the weekend I just went to the range with my bow for the first time this year to start getting ready. I was there no more than an hour and my shoulder muscle is still killing me (and it's Tuesday right now:eek:)! Yesterday, I literally could not raise my arm above my head without a searing pain going through my shoulder muscle. It's getting better, but I really need to start working out regularly. Working on a computer all day, there are muscles I never use, until I rip them to shreds when I go shoot a bow for the first time in months :D And the stupid thing is - I have one of those home gym machines down in my basement I've had for years so there is no excuse I can't just go down there for 15 or 30 minutes to just do some stretches and weights. Haven't sat on that machine in a long time, but I think I need to start.

Knucklhead,nothing personal Mazz.But it's like new years resolution, I'm joining a gym,go all out hell.Oops!Slow go!Like livesintrees said easy does it!

2 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

I heard when you get old you never trust a fart. Now your saying you that 2 are better then one? Conspiracy 

Wouldn't be able to tell who was stinking the worst. Can't hold it in when you're straining to pull a deer.

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

If ya hurt yourself you’ll do no good! Try shooting 10 arrows twice a day. Or less if you feel something “not right”. In a week you’ll be able to start getting back after it. 

• Agree 1