Big one

Anyone over 55 still hunting with compound bows

61 and still shooting a compound.....even after having both shoulders operated on. With today's bows there is lots of choices to find a smooth drawing bow.

• Like 1

I am 71 and still hunted with the compound from the climbing treestand. Thinking of retiring this year from deer hunting. Not because of shootng the compound....I still shoot better than most.  Thinking of ending my 50+ year deer hunting career because of the difficulty getting a deer out of the woods.

63 and still using my longbow.

No bells or whistles. 

No sights, bubble levels, adjustable arrow shelf, 75% let off, or trigger release.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My dad is 68 and still hunts with a compound. My uncle is 77 and still hunts with a compound.

Edited by Hunter115522

I went to crossbow in my late 40's due to arthritis in both shoulders. I wounded deer two days in a row so I went right to sportsmens center and bought my tenpoint. I have not had issues for several years now but love my crossbow and havent decided to break the compound back out. Use what helps you enjoy the outdoors. Choose what weapon and how you want for your own enjoyment and not to fit in with a certain stereotype.

29 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I am 71 and still hunted with the compound from the climbing treestand. Thinking of retiring this year from deer hunting. Not because of shootng the compound....I still shoot better than most.  Thinking of ending my 50+ year deer hunting career because of the difficulty getting a deer out of the woods.

There are good guys on this site, that I'm willing to bet would have no problem giving you a hand getting a deer out of the woods. If you hunt anywhere near where I hunt or live, I'd be glad to help, and I know others would too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I'm 56 and shoot longbows and recurves from 45-90lbs.

My Dad shot a 55# longbow until age 85.  Around that time he felt the bow was too much for him and only gun hunted until he passed at 92.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

There are good guys on this site, that I'm willing to bet would have no problem giving you a hand getting a deer out of the woods. If you hunt anywhere near where I hunt or live, I'd be glad to help, and I know others would too.

If I am around and someone needs help getting a deer out I will be glad to help.

I have a older friend who said to me a couple of years ago "If you were not here to help me,  I would not be able to do this anymore."

That is not going to happen!

• Like 4

i have to admit, I am 55, and last year went from my 65# Matthews z7 to a 60# TRIAX.     Shot it earlier this year and felt so easy to draw, wow the 5# difference and smooth draw -figured this bow would easily get me into my 60s...   Fast forward to today when I shot it again for the first time in 5 weeks - like razor blades in my draw shoulder. Like all in the rotator cuff area.   Never thought 60# would feel like an effort but it did today.  Shot great but didn't push it I plan on taking a few shots every day to hopefully work through it. 

• Like 1

73 here. shoot both PSE Stinger and Center Point 370. Depends on where i hunt the fields crossbow, still hunting or woods compound.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:56 AM, Big8PTR said:

I'll be 61 in November and still hunt with my 2005 Diamond Victory compound set ay 60lbs. It's important to keep strengthening the upper back and shoulder muscles so that drawing the bow doesn't become an issue while practicing and hunting. I work with weights and bands every morning before heading off to work. Doesn't have to be real heavy weights. I use 15lb and 25 lb doing various exercises to keep those muscle tuned. 

So important to work those muscles!

I took it a step farther 4 years ago and starting going to a gym before work in the mornings, that's kinda on the way. No super heavy lifting, just do circuits on all of the machines.

Father Time wants to rob our strength and endurance as we age. Don't let the bastard win. 

• Like 2

The key to anything physical is making it a year round routine. And not having time is no excuse. You could legit take 5 shots a day in your living room from 5 feet away just to keep the muscles working. 

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

The key to anything physical is making it a year round routine. And not having time is no excuse. You could legit take 5 shots a day in your living room from 5 feet away just to keep the muscles working. 

Yeah bow muscles.Know all about it kid.What about the other arm to hold steady.Vision change with age?Enjoy youth while you can.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

so tell me why I didn't do it in the past year?  I have never been this busy in my life.  This sucks.    Already feeling stress of upcoming bow season, and feel I barely fished enough this summer.     I even have a bow exerciser somewhere in this house where I could literally sit and watch TV and draw draw draw...  Wish it were June, feel I am 3 month behind

My dad just turned 80 still shooting his compound  probably about 45# mostly hunts from a ground blind  my shoulder went bad 2 yrs ago had to make the switch  

• Like 2