Big one

Anyone over 55 still hunting with compound bows

Although I have always been involved in outdoor sports, especially fly fishing, I have been bitten by the archery bug.

I started hunting with a crossbow several years ago and have migrated to customizing a late model compound to hunt in upstate NY.  I started with a crossbow because I felt it was better for game kill percentages, but love tuning in my compound.

it seems that many my age are migrating to crossbows (not all due to medical) while I am going the other way.

Are many 55 to 65 year olds still using their compound?

Just curious......

I still hunt with my compounds.

As well as still hunting with both longbows and recurves. 

Love shooting and hunting with my bows .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You guys don't gun hunt? If so, why not use a crossbow....similar

Edited by nmc02

Posted (edited)

Wish I could still shoot a compound, but I'd still hunt with the crossbow.   More confident in making a good shot, and a better tool to hunt from the ground with.  Made it until I was 56 before pulling a muscle in my back while drawing the compound just 2 weeks before the season.     Already had problems seeing the pins. Then tore both biceps later on.  No going back to compounds for me now.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like 1

Well..I'm 53 and hunt compound with occasional crossbow. I love the challenge of compound and this yr will be going mobile with sticks and stnd.

a relative of mine. went from compound to  crossbow(for about 6 years) and now going back to compound. hes 63. 

After 2 rotator coff surgeries I'm still shooting, my new Vertix. I'm down to 60# but you really don't need any more than that. 59 by the way.

I went the other way, from vertical to crossbow, and it had nothing to do with medical issues. I don't see why anyone over 55, I am one of them, could not hunt with any bow. Go for it and enjoy it

• Like 1

A lot of times when I hear about guys saying they do not use compounds anymore, many times they say they can't draw a 65# or 70# bow anymore so they think that's it for them.

How many folks are shooting at deer past 30 yards with their compound anyway (accurately)? All you need is 45# or 50# (I mean, the legal minimum is 35# !!! Even going to 40# or 45# - you can still kill deer effectively out to 20 yards with that.)

It's not a sin to go to a lower draw weight, especially for the older guys or guys with bum shoulders and arms. Just limit your shots to no more than 25 yards or so (which I bet many people are doing anyway).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I use both compounds and stick bows. Never a crossbow,but I don't begrudge people who do.

• Like 2

61 here, and still hunting with a very old Jennings compound, that I bought "mail order" from an old bowhunter's catalog.

For my bowhunting, I've just never had a reason to use something else.

• Like 1

I'll be 61 in November and still hunt with my 2005 Diamond Victory compound set ay 60lbs. It's important to keep strengthening the upper back and shoulder muscles so that drawing the bow doesn't become an issue while practicing and hunting. I work with weights and bands every morning before heading off to work. Doesn't have to be real heavy weights. I use 15lb and 25 lb doing various exercises to keep those muscle tuned. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is either a personal decision or physical limitation that decides. I never considered a crossbow until about 6 years ago when my near/far vision was a problem with shooting my compound. Had to make the switch to avoid losing deer. Whet ever you decide for whatever reason is YOUR business. There is no shame in shooting a crossbow. If you hunt with a gun then it's hypocritical to condemn a crossbow. It's somewhere in between a muzzleloader and a compound bow. 

Edited by archer36
  • Like 1

I lasted till I was 69 using the compound & a climber.  I had to switch to the crossbow because of Pagents disease in my left hip, shoulder & elbow, couldn't practice enough to be as accurate as needed.

• Like 1

I am 56 and never shot a crossgun ever. I know and understand why some people need to shoot one, but until I can't draw my compound bow back and hold it steady I will stay the course.

• Agree 1