gaberdeen

Going to make the leap to crossbow. what does everyone recommend? UPDATE: What I bought added!

Posted (edited)

Due to a few herniated discs in my neck and getting to be an old fart I haven’t been able to draw my compound back very easily anymore. Didn’t matter too much as the past few years I haven’t had much time to bowhunt with my daughter in highschool. Now that she’ll be off to college I should have plenty of time to sit in a tree. Therefore I decided to look for a crossbow to hunt with. My budget is about 1000 to 1200. What experience and recommendations has everyone got. Thanks in advance.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I ended up buying a Mission Sub-1. Got last years model. Really was impressed with how quiet it was and how easy to cock and decock the string. Rated at 350 FPS, maybe not the fastest on the market but plenty good enough for me. I also like that Matthews is the company making them. I haven’t looked forward to archery season in many years. I am now!

Edited by gaberdeen
  • Like 6

I got my first crossbow in 2012 as a divorce present. It’s was a Parker tornado. I still have it and love it. It has exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately Parker went out of business. But fortunately there are a number of different companies making great crossbows now. I’ll let the people who own them give you their 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Check out the New Excalibur AXE!:up: You can add a crank to it if you need it.

Edited by toxo
  • Agree 1

I have a tenpoint with the accudraw. I don't have to remember the rope to draw since it attached to the bow already. The only down side is having to discharge a bolt after each hunt. But no big deal, I just an old bolt and practice head.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

My buddy knows ALOT about crossbows....recommended these:

1.) Tenpoint Shadow $1300

2.) Tenpoint Titan RCX $900

3.) Mission sniper lite  $800

4.) Excalibur Micro Supressor $1200

Edited by nmc02
  • Agree 1

I wasn't sure on the whole crossbow thing so I bought a cheap one. Based on its reviews is was a lot of bow for the money, so I grabbed a CenterPoint. For the bow, arrows, scope, quiver, cocking rope it was less than 300 bucks. Does the job.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have a ten point with accudraw and love it .but but the best you can afford.  I now know people who have the parkers and like the fact you don't have to discharge the bolt.

• Agree 1

How far are you from zip code 18947?

Go to Bob and AJS or call them and talk to AJ.

Mission sub 1 and excalibur are awesome.

He will let you shoot what he has and go over the ins and outs.

484 308 1552

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

I wasn't sure on the whole crossbow thing so I bought a cheap one. Based on its reviews is was a lot of bow for the money, so I grabbed a CenterPoint. For the bow, arrows, scope, quiver, cocking rope it was less than 300 bucks. Does the job.

I did the same, I upgraded the quiver,  scope and would of upgraded the bolts....but it sits collecting dust. Friend has the same crossbow and he shot 165" buck and 375 lb. Bear with it

Edited by BHC
  • Agree 1

I have a Wicked Ridge.  Not expensive and very accurate.   Go to a shop where you can shoot some and see what you like.  There are many new options every year.

• Agree 1

Go on Wyvern creations web page. Dave always has good packages you can call him any time and he will answer any questions there is nobody more knowledgeable then him and he stands by anything he sells you even if the manufacturer doesn't 

• Agree 3