hemlock

Bear taking down buck on the Delaware river

My friend sent me this picture of a bear and a  1.5 yo buck . His friend who  I don't know personally took the picture. But I thought it was amazing he caught it on camera and it's a  clear picture. We all know bears kill fawns but the bear in the picture. I'm convinced would take out a buck of any age. But it definitely has me thinking of all the time I spend on the river and often alone. Could that be me instead of that deer? But when I see pictures like this I think of how bad it would be in the future if they were not hunted. Clearly a bear this size is no stranger to deer and killing them regardless of age. And I thought this was a worthy picture to post. 

IMG_2120.JPG

• Like 12

Antis would twist this to show how compassionate the bear is saving the deer from drowning. 

• Haha 4

There is a video on Facebook of the bear and deer. Kinda scary to think of the worst case scenario but at the same time nature is freaking cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Is that a Jersey bear?

I ask the same thing...

Posted (edited)

Delaware River.Jersey or Pennsy

Or Ny. Never mind

Edited by kcohunter

I have no idea which state. I didn't take the picture and after reading that others already saw the picture and a video. I have doubts about my buddy  telling me his friend took the picture.   I think if his buddy  took the picture it would be nj or pa  . But know I don't know what to think . I rarely ever  post any pictures but my own pictures and from know on I will keep it that way. Only because its a safer bet all around. But either way whoever took it I think its a good picture.

Posted (edited)

I think bears are opportunistic feeders.  The average healthy deer that sees the bear first is not going to be caught.  A fawn or injured deer of any age or gender is an easier target.   Could a bear “ambush” a deer?  Sure.  I have seen many deer swimming  the Delaware River.  A smart bear would hide and then attack as the deer neared shore. 

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Crazy how he has the deer in the water. They can be brutal killers for sure. Keep our hunting season to keep them in check. Cool but crazy picture

• Like 1

I remember seeing a video of a Bear killing a Deer in Green Turtle Pond.Seems like Deer are easier targets when they are in the water.:elch:

• Like 1

That was my target buck! Ive been after him for 3 years now, i have all his sheds and was pumped to see him on my corn pile...damn bears! Zone 5 of course

• Like 1
  • Haha 4