IGNORED

First plot guidance needed

Figured I start here, seems like a lot of guys have been providing great feedback from others posts. Between this site and some light reading elsewhere seems clover would work best. Looking for suggestions on prep, type of seed, any additional resources, etc. Have bigger plans for the future with different plot sites and a compact Kubota. 

Here's what I'm working with;

First my location, 1/4 acre flat top holds moisture then slopes off. Mostly shaded but some sun does break through. I can open up the canopy If I remove some of the younger trees that are reaching for sunlight.  Currently I only have an ATV. Pulled behind a dethatcher to break up the ground, seems to work somewhat well. 

216589983_ATVplot.thumb.jpg.a4521206603e4d9a92ee3cf5f61b7228.jpg

Here's my soil test results.

soil1.JPG.958c781e8d60c1a2df82be9e1c7e4dde.JPG

soil2.thumb.JPG.9854232068d40f37753edb2d8dfe863b.JPG

kanigie,

I have no experience with growing clover in heavily shaded areas. My clover plots have always had adequate sunlight. My thinking for this plot would be to plant Winter Rye in early-mid September which would grow well in your soil. The Rye would gain the added benefit of the extra sunlight during the October/November leaf drop and would continue to grow into the late fall and winter months.

Soil ph is looking good.

Broadcast clover right before a rainfall. Then go back there in late winter and frost seed again.
Next june/July you will have a decent clover plot.

Read the seed descriptions, some might be better for shade.

My clover thrives better in shade than full sun burns up around now.

I never benefited from clover during thendeer season tho.. maybe in a shady area it might be ok for early season. Doesnt seem to help me tho. Corn/bait is king.
https://meritseed.com/wildlife-food-plot-store/

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Open the canopy man. Without enough sun you are pissing into the wind. Plants will germinate then likely yellow and die. Get your amendments in as per soil test recommendation. With that said, a clover mix with some winter rye will get you started for this year. Do yourself a favor and look at Jeff sturgis/whitetail habitat solutions YouTube videos in regards to no till style planting’s. Do some reading on frost seeding as well. It is a big help in small woods plots 

Sunlight is not that important with clover.. as long as you get a little.. the less sun the less weed competition and less water it needs because the soil doesnt dry up.

I have a 15ft wide strip between trees that does the best of my whole plot. And the shady edge does well too.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com