IGNORED

Food plot expansion

The grass I would hit it with round up and seed it heavy with rye and clover. The problem with mixes is you cant treat them with chemicals. 

Also plant your plots in the fall instead of spring, way too much competition from weeds. 

Wherever I have rye planted, the following spring green up is vitually weed free. 

The smaller plot you could try overseeding the brassicas but I think you would be better off with the rye. Rye will withstand heavy grazing and it improves your soil. 

I also like Daikon tillage radishes. I always try to mix them in to help with soil compaction. 

But smaller plots Ive found clover and rye is the best for me as it withstands heavy grazing , easy to grow with minimal equipment and just need to mow a few times a year. 

If I could only do one plot it would be clover. 

I got enough area for rye brassicas and clover.. I wanted the deep grass for cover. My property needs bedding more than anything.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

7 hours ago, Farmshine said:

I’m getting ready to order rye and clover for 1 acre plot, any recommendations on amount or simply 1 acre cover for each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do roughly 2 50 lb bags of rye per acre. 

For a new plot of clover 18 to 20 lbs an acre

www.liftxrentals.com

17 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Buy the rye from a local farmer or even Agway. Shipping will kill you. 

I get 50lbs of rye or wheat for around $10 a bag locally. 

I have to do some more looking locally here in Sussex county. I was hoping tractor supply would have had the rye but they don’t. I’ll have to see if there is an agway local here. Merit and Hancock are fair with shipping and seed in the cheapest of all my expenses for habitat each year. Sometimes the couple bucks more is worth me not spending my free time (limited) driving around 

Just picked up 56lb of rye cover seed from local farm. They only have 1 bag left. I guess it's the season.

I imagine for 1/8 acre of clover that I'm spreading brassicas in, I'd probably only use about 10lbs or less of rye?

I have a logging road that has nothing but dirt on it.. I was thinking of discing a d planting the rest of the rye on the trial, but not sure what the ph is.

Might be a waste of effort. No sunlight hits that area.
Anyway
If I dont do the trail and have leftover seed and anyone wants it feel free to come get it.
I may have 40lbs leftover. Will see soon.

50 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Just picked up 56lb of rye cover seed from local farm. They only have 1 bag left. I guess it's the season.

I imagine for 1/8 acre of clover that I'm spreading brassicas in, I'd probably only use about 10lbs or less of rye?

I have a logging road that has nothing but dirt on it.. I was thinking of discing a d planting the rest of the rye on the trial, but not sure what the ph is.

Might be a waste of effort. No sunlight hits that area.
Anyway
If I dont do the trail and have leftover seed and anyone wants it feel free to come get it.
I may have 40lbs leftover. Will see soon.

Jay if you get the last Bag from the guy if he’s close I’ll come get it. If it’s rye grain (not grass)  

Also dont disk the logging road. Broadcast the rye and walk away. And at the most broadcast and roll over it. It’ll grow anywhere. I just got my fall overseeding done right before the rain That’s coming down now.

I need the rye for last week of August 

getting ready to hit my plots hard soon, soybeans and 2 clover plots are doing awesome, the other 13 plots, well, not so great, hit most of em with gly so far, going to try a flattening drag instead of beating the death out of my disc on a few spots.    I need to take down my electric fence on the soybeans to let the deer strat coming in and browsing as the beans are way big enough to withstand the browse now.    hope the deer ingore my potatoes which are doing wll inside th same fence, got red, white, and blue taters growing for table fare.   on the to order list is bearcat red clove, some more balansa fixation, turnips, rye, raddish............ by the time it is all said and done there will be about 25 acres of food planted for em.

Ahh I was too late lol. No need to disc clover. Just broadcast 
Last yr I didnt disc and had barely any brassicas grow.

Guy from seed company told me best to lightly disc.

I just hope I didnt screw up because I didnt pack before spreading seed. There are some deep gouges where i did my uturns lol.

Worst case rye should grow good. I seeded it pretty heavy with rye too.

We will see. Fingers crossed

20 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Last yr I didnt disc and had barely any brassicas grow.

Guy from seed company told me best to lightly disc.

I just hope I didnt screw up because I didnt pack before spreading seed. There are some deep gouges where i did my uturns lol.

Worst case rye should grow good. I seeded it pretty heavy with rye too.

We will see. Fingers crossed

Broadcast seed and mow. Or broadcast and walk away. Brassica is used as throw and mow and throw and roll and no till methods more then any other seed. Guys will often just broadcast seed and then spray 1 quart per acre of glyphosate and that’s it. Do some reading and you tube videos on Jeff sturgis/whitetail habitat solutions and you’ll see just how little it actually takes to get excellent results. 

Broadcast seed and mow. Or broadcast and walk away. Brassica is used as throw and mow and throw and roll and no till methods more then any other seed. Guys will often just broadcast seed and then spray 1 quart per acre of glyphosate and that’s it. Do some reading and you tube videos on Jeff sturgis/whitetail habitat solutions and you’ll see just how little it actually takes to get excellent results. 
I was gonna mow but I sprayed a few weeks ago and theres nothing to mow. And I didnt feel like hooking up the brush hog lol.
Raining now. I should be in good shape. Over seeded.